Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Albert Parker, Driscoll's Scouts - died at Bloemfontein, 13.3.1901 4 years 7 months ago #65089

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
In Clitheroe Cemetery, Lancashire. Albert isn't named on Clitheroe's ABW memorial plaque. www.angloboerwar.com/forum/17-memorials-...clitheroe-lancashire

Hannah,
the beloved wife of
Albert Parker, of Clitheroe,
who died February 1st 1893,
aged 51 years.
Also of Albert Parker,
son of the above
who died at Bloemfontein
South Africa,
March 13th 1901, aged 34 years.
Also Albert husband of the
above Hannah Parker, who died
February 23rd 1923, aged 80 years.

I can't find an Albert Parker who was born at Clitheroe in either 1866 or 1867; however, there were two Albert Parkers born in Burnley, one in 1866, the other in 1867. Nor could I find any mention of his death, his war service, or letters home in the copies of the Clitheroe Times and the Burnley Express that I've been able to check. The plaque wasn't unveiled until August 1907, long enough after his death for him to have been included, so perhaps he wasn't considered to be eligible for inclusion.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Albert Parker, Driscoll's Scouts - died at Bloemfontein, 13.3.1901 4 years 7 months ago #65093

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Parker served with the regiment as 27085 Trooper, after is death, of enteric, he was buried at Bloemfontein with his name now appearing upon a monument at President Avenue, sadly, it is not unusual, with so many graves having had there original contemporary metal crosses deliberately removed.
On occasion, the dead insist on being remembered, a careful look throughout WO126/40-43 may reveal his papers and of course, his signature, a glance at WO100/245 does show typical medal entitlement for service in his regiment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.450 seconds