Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Private E. Morrison, Gordon Highlanders - invalided home, died 27.2.1901

Private E. Morrison, Gordon Highlanders - invalided home, died 27.2.1901 1 week 1 day ago #67086

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 852
I've been sent a photo of his grave memorial, in Rosneath Cemetery, Argyll and Bute (although it was in Dunbartonshire in 1901), but can't find a record of his death being registered; the only two E. Morrisons whose deaths were registered in Scotland in 1901 being aged at least 60. As the photo appears in a PDF of a book page, I can't copy it, nor do I have permission to. Weather permitting, I'll go up to Rosneath next January, and take a couple of photos of the grave.

The inscription reads: -
R.I.P.
IN LOVING MEMORY

OF
PTE. E. MORRISON
1ST BATTALION
GORDON HIGHLANDERS
DIED 27TH FEB. 1901

AT
H.R.H. PRINCESS LOUISE'S
HOSPITAL HOME
ROSNEATH

A SOLDIER'S FUNERAL.
The people of Gareloch witnessed a pathetic sight on Friday, March 1st. About one o'clock a little procession might have been seen wending its way from H.R.H. Princess Louise Convalescent Home to Roseneath Churchyard, a coffin covered with the Union Jack, and followed by a respectful crowd. Just another soldier who had laid down his life for Queen and country. Private Morrison was invalided home early in summer, thoroughly worn out with the privations he had endured, and although everything possible was done for him in the beautiful Home by the sea, he never regained his strength, and after great suffering, passed away on Wednesday morning. The Duke of Argyll, who is in residence at the "Clachan House," walked in the funeral procession, and during the interment, which took place amid torrents of rain, held his umbrella over the late soldier's sister, she being the only relation present. None present could help noticing his kindly and courteous act.

Dundee Evening Telegraph, Thursday 7th March 1901

No mention of whether he was a local man, although the presence of a relative makes me think he may not have been from too far away. Helensburgh Library has a local paper for 1901, so I'll call in there too.

This is the house, formerly The Ferry Inn, that became the hospital.
www.dailyrecord.co.uk/scotland-now/house...s-home-queen-9143981
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private E. Morrison, Gordon Highlanders - invalided home, died 27.2.1901 6 days 19 hours ago #67094

• BereniceUK
The grave has been visited this morning, and moss over the inscription has been removed. My thanks to the gentleman who did this.

However, we're no wiser as to what his first name was.

Private E. Morrison, Gordon Highlanders - invalided home, died 27.2.1901 6 days 17 hours ago #67096

• BereniceUK
Edward Morrison Smith, labourer, single, an Army Reserve Man, died 1901, February 27, Hospital Home, Rosneath, aged 34, father Edward Smith, moulder (deceased), mother Mary Smith maiden surname Morrison. Heart disease, dropsy, cardiac failure. Registered by Mary Smith, sister, 268 Garscube Road, Glasgow.

My thanks to Forfarian, on RootsChat, for this information.

The inscription on the gravestone quite definitely has his name as E. Morrison. Photo to come when I go there.

Private E. Morrison, Gordon Highlanders - invalided home, died 27.2.1901 5 days 22 hours ago #67105

• BereniceUK

Photo by, and courtesy of, Tom O'Brien-Barden, as is the attached photo, which was taken some time between 1987 to 1989, and appeared in a book recording the gravestones in Rosneath graveyard.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.392 seconds