Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private Jack Simms, 8th (Derbyshire) Company Imperial Yeomanry - died 17.3.1908 4 years 1 month ago #68154

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2303
In St Andrew's churchyard, Swanwick, Derbyshire. The photos of his grave memorial were taken in 2012, so it may not be in the same condition now.

My thanks to Meurig for tipping me off about this funeral card being on sale online.

A SWANWICK VOLUNTEER FOR THE FRONT.

ADDRESS BY MR H. ST. JOHN RAIKES AT SWANWICK.
....Following last week's successful meeting and the enthusiastic one on Monday at Morton, Mr H. St. John Raikes, the proposed Unionist candidate for Mid-Derbyshire, and he found another capital audience at the Cross Keys Inn, over which Mr H. Handbury presided.
....At the conclusion of an interesting address, Mr Raikes left for Belper to speak to those who had volunteered for the front. He was requested to convey a message of congratulation to the Belper Volunteers from the meeting, and to wish them "God-speed" and a safe return.
....Mr Bowler mentioned that the son of Mr John Simms was now on the water as a volunteer, and the announcement was met with hearty applause.
....Mr Simms thanked the meeting for the sentiments expressed on behalf of his son.
....Mr W. M. Wilson, Q.C., and Mr G. Preston, of Alfreton, also addressed the meeting.
The Derbyshire Times, Saturday 3rd February 1900

....Trooper Simms, who is a son of Mr Simms, farmer, of Swanwick, returned home from the war last Wednesday, having been invalided to England, owing to having suffered from enteric fever. It is now about a year since he joined the Yeomanry. Trooper Simms was met at Butterley Station by many Swanwick people, and his return was the cause of much jubilation in the village. A vehicle containing the volunteer was drawn by his many admirers from the station. He took one of his father's horses to the war, which, I understand, he has left in South Africa.
The Derbyshire Times, Saturday 2nd March 1901

EARL ROBERTS PRESENTS MEDALS TO DERBYSHIRE HEROES.
....On Thursday Earl Roberts visited Nottingham to take part in a number of important functions. One of these was the presentation of war medals to a large body of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire men who have returned from the South African war. We append a list of the Derbyshire men who were present: -
IMPERIAL YEOMANRY.
....The Yeomanry were under the command of Captain A. W. Byron. The recipients of medals included: -
Captain A. W. Byron, Chesterfield.
Shoeing-smith J. Howard, Bakewell.
Private C. Bartlett, Wirksworth.
Private G. F. Barton, Matlock Bank.
Private Drabble, Clay Cross.
Private G. Graham, Chesterfield.
Private E. Hodgkinson, Matlock.
Private J. Sims, Swanwick.
The Derbyshire Times, Saturday 9th November 1901

In the guide to its history, the church's website mentions Jack Simms - "After fighting in the Boer War in 1900-01, Sgt Jack Simms died in 1908 and was buried with full military honours in Swanwick churchyard. He was carried from the farmhouse by “stalwart yeomen” to the sound of muffled drums and the Dead March from the band. A 16 strong firing party and buglers were also present along with Yeomanry Officers and other local dignitaries." So there must be a press report of the funeral on record somewhere.
btckstorage.blob.core.windows.net/site50...20history%202011.pdf (page 2)

The above link also shows you a tiny photo of how the memorial used to look - clean and in one piece.
Edit - I understand that the memorial has been restored since I took the photos.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.468 seconds