Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Volunteer Service Company 2nd Battalion Middlesex Regiment 4 years 3 weeks ago #68184

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
The plaque is in the vestibule at St Pancras Parish Church, London, along with several other memorial tablets and plaques. The building was extensively restored between 1951-53, and the memorials may have been moved to the vestibule during that period.

IN MEMORY OF
L C. C PL. T. H. SHORTER, P TE. F. ANGELONE,
P TE. J. MASSON & P TE. H. TRIMLET,
WHO DIED WHILE ON ACTIVE SERVICE IN SOUTH
AFRICA WITH THE VOLUNTEER SERVICE COMPANY
2 ND BATTALION MIDDLESEX REG T.
THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY THEIR COMRADES OF THE
SERVICE COY., OFFICERS, NCO S & MEN OF THE 17 T MIDDX. R.V.C.

Below is an edited version of the above photo, which makes the inscription a little more readable.

I assume that it's in such poor condition through over-zealous polishing. Ignoring the possible cost, would it be possible to restore it? However, it looks fine under flash, just that my flash wouldn't work on that particular occasion. To be revisited one day.
www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/61743
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Volunteer Service Company 2nd Battalion 4th Middlesex Regiment 4 years 3 weeks ago #68186

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Berenice
Referring to the polished condition of the plaque, I would think that restoration would depend on the gauge of the brass (I suppose it is brass/bronze?). If a reasonable thickness, the detail could be "freshed" or deepened. If not, the detail could be picked out in a contrasting colour.
I had a dig through Palmer for the details of the men named on the plaque:
(1) "7181 Pte. Shorter, T. Died of Disease, Newcastle 17/1/01 Vol. Coy., 2Mx"
(2) Palmer shows "7148 Pte. Angelorie, F. Died of Disease enteric, Mooi River, 2/6/00 2Mx". However, WO100/195 shows his surname as "Angeloni".
(3) "7165 Pte Masson, J. Died of disease, Newcastle, 25/4/01 Vol. Coy., 2Mx".
(4) "H.Trimlet" as shown on the plaque led me a merry dance. Finally found him on p.348 of WO100/195 as "7166" and a marginal note "disch. to Scottish H as 33425". A check on Palmer shows him as "33425 S/Smh. H.Trimlett, Killed in Action, Brakenlagte, 17/6/00 2 SH".
Best regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds