Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

F. E. H. Lowless, 10th Coy. Imp.Yeo.- died of enteric at Nauuwpoort, 30.12.1901 3 years 8 months ago #70930

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
In St Michael and All Angels' Church, Uffington, Lincolnshire. John Lowless, his father, died in 1887, aged 30; his mother, Fanny Lowless (nee Holmes) remarried on 6th March 1890, to William Billing. Frank was born in the 4th quarter of 1880 - his birth registration has his full name as Frank Ernest Holmes Lowless - and he was living with his relatives in Uffington by 1891, so not with his mother and step-father in Stamford.

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/2-introductio...nshire?start=6#61628

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/7-genealogy-a...ial-yeomanry?start=0

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
FRANK E. HOLMES,
SON OF THE LATE JOHN LOWLESS
WHO SERVED HIS COUNTRY IN S. AFRICA
IN THE 10TH COMPANY IMPERIAL
YEOMANRY AND DIED OF ENTERIC
IN HOSPITAL AT NAUUWPOORT
DECR. 30TH 1901,
AGED 21 YEARS.

THIS MEMORIAL IS PLACED HERE BY HIS
DEVOTED GRANDPARENTS E. & F. HOLMES.

"I KNOW THAT MY REDEEMER LIVETH."
……...…………..………JOB 19. 25.

….Trooper F. E. Lowless, who joined the Imperial Yeomanry a few weeks ago, sailed for South Africa last Saturday in the Gascon with a company of the Sherwood Rangers.

The Lincoln, Rutland, and Stamford Mercury, Friday 22nd March 1901

Deaths.
LOWLESS. - Dec. 30, at Naauwpoort, of enteric, Frank E. Lowless, 10th Co. Imperial Yeomanry, eldest son of the late John Lowless, of Stamford, and dearly-loved grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Holmes, Uffington.
….Mr. and Mrs. Holmes take this opportunity of thanking all friends for their kind expressions of sympathy in their great loss.

The Lincoln, Rutland, and Stamford Mercury, Friday 10th January 1902

….The annual supper in connection with the Reading-room was held on Thursday, and in addition to the members there were also present Mr. W. W. Tremlett, Mr. Adams, and the Rev. F. E. A. Willis (in the chair)…….It was proposed by Mr. Benstead, "That a life-size portrait of Mr. F. Lowless, one of our late members, who died in South Africa while serving his King and country, be subscribed for by the members as a token of respect, and be presented to the Reading-room."

The Lincoln, Rutland, and Stamford Mercury, Friday 2nd May 1902

I can't find any online references to the Reading Room in Uffington, and there's no family history or local history group there to ask about the life-sized portrait.

….The annual speech day in connection with the Stamford Grammar School took place on Wednesday afternoon, when a large number responded to the invitation to attend the function...……This school, like most others, had furnished soldiers in the war, which was now happily at an end (Applause.) Among those who took part were Callington, F. Davis, W. Guinness, H. Hay, C. M. Hare, Lowless, MacDougall, S. Robson, C. and G. Warren, to which might be added H. Blackstone and G. Steer, who were only at the school for a short time. It was with the greatest regret they learnt of the death of two - C. Warren from wounds and Lowless from enteric. It was proposed to place a small tablet to their memory either in that room or in St. George's church, and any who would like to subscribe a trifle were invited to do so, so that their names might not be forgotten. (Applause.)

The Lincoln, Rutland, and Stamford Mercury, Friday 1st August 1902

The whereabouts of Stamford Grammar School's memorial is unknown.

…."HERE AM I." - A correspondent signing himself "An Old Stamfordian" and dating from Leeds, writes: - "I was much interested in the appropriate and eloquent sermon preached by the Rev. F. E. Lowe at St. John's on the 4th inst., an extract of which discourse appeared in your Mercury of the 9th. It was a well-deserved testimony to those of my native town and vicinity who went to the front ready, if need be, to sacrifice their lives in defence of their country, and it is to be hoped that some memorial, however humble, of their patriotism, will be forthcoming. Amongst those well-known to me who have fallen was Trooper Lowless, of Uffington. Recently a few additional facts about this lamented young man, which have come to my knowledge, may be worth recording. When stricken with enteric he bore his affliction with much fortitude, an intense and natural longing for home, however, animating him in his severe sickness. His fine form and good nature were the admiration of many around him. During his illness, which lasted three weeks, he was attended in hospital by orderly Fredk. Clarkson, of Leeds, who volunteered for the front to act as assistant medical attendant, and was accepted by the War Office. It was arranged that in case of his decease Clarkson should go to Uffington, and tell Mr. and Mrs. Holmes all about his patient's sickness and death. This promise has been faithfully performed. The deceased was interred on the 31st December, with military honours, in a pretty cemetery at Naauwpoort, and showing how much he was esteemed, his grave was subsequently decorated with flowers and other tokens of affection. Lowless's name is to be inscribed upon a tablet in Cape Town Cathedral.

The Lincoln, Rutland, and Stamford Mercury, Friday 23rd January 1903

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

F. E. H. Lowless, 10th Coy. Imp.Yeo.- died of enteric at Nauuwpoort, 30.12.1901 3 years 8 months ago #70934

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Noupoort Cemetery (Spelling during ABW - Naauwpoort)

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.739 seconds