Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 5 months ago #6578

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Let us hope that Mrs Hendey is not reading this! :ohmy:

capepolice wrote: Brett,

Last time I saw you at the pub you were far from decrepit :) :) The way you were looking at the barmaids tells me that there is many many more years left in you.

Cheers
Adrian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 5 months ago #6579

• iaindh
  • iaindh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Brett,

many thanks for your input, particuarly on the ILH; so there is a ILH memorial stone in Primrose, (Elandsfontein) Cemetery!!! :) I shall have to look a bit harder but maybe its not as big as I imagined. In the photos I took, all down the sides of the garden of rememberence, there were small headstones and also larger ones depending on how wealthy the parties were I guess.
I think the Witklip one is now in Braamfontein Cemetery; I'm sure they are one and the same.

regards, Iain

Brett Hendey wrote: Hi Iain

In my ILH Bible (i.e. Gibson's history) there is a 1905 list of all the ILH memorials and headstones that were erected after the war. The Transvaal list starts as follows:

"The following Headstones have been erected, enclosed by railings and suitably inscribed:-
(1) ELANDSFONTEIN CEMETERY
Regt.-Qt.-Master Sergt. C. Belcher.
Corporal G. Mackenzie.
Trooper R.J. Davies.
Trooper J.P. McCabe.
Trooper W.H. Davies.
Trooper N. Williams.
Trooper C. Coltart."

There are 14 cemeteries on the list, as well as mention of the obelisks erected at Witklip, Maritzani and elsewhere. There also lists for Natal and the Orange River Colony.

I believe it was in the early 1970's that scattered Boer War burials and some cemeteries were consolidated into "Gardens of Remembrance" with consolidated lists of names on new memorials such as those in the Primrose Cemetery.

Regards
Brett

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 5 months ago #6585

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Adrian
You are too kind!

Frank
If Mrs H does read Adrian's libellous post, I will simply say I have no memory of the event. She will believe that explanation.

Iain
I suppose the problem today is what does survive of the ILH monuments listed in 1905 and where they are located? I wonder if the Light Horse Regiment keeps records of ILH memorials?

Regards
Brett

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 5 months ago #6587

• Frank Kelley
Good moring Brett,
I hope that the Light Horse Regt are better organised and commanded than the Durban Light Infantry are these days! :(
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Adrian
You are too kind!

Frank
If Mrs H does read Adrian's libellous post, I will simply say I have no memory of the event. She will believe that explanation.

Iain
I suppose the problem today is what does survive of the ILH monuments listed in 1905 and where they are located? I wonder if the Light Horse Regiment keeps records of ILH memorials?

Regards
Brett

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 5 months ago #6591

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank, I can almost guarantee that the LHR is no better off than any other South African Reserve Regiment. The latest horror story to emerge involves the Transvaal Scottish. Some of the details of this affair were passed on to me by another member of this forum. I have a report on the TS debacle from an Afrikaans newspaper so, if reading Afrikaans is one of your talents, I will e-mail it to you.

Regards
Brett

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 5 months ago #6593

• Frank Kelley
The Transvaal Scottish! surely not! :ohmy:
Am horrified. :(

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank, I can almost guarantee that the LHR is no better off than any other South African Reserve Regiment. The latest horror story to emerge involves the Transvaal Scottish. Some of the details of this affair were passed on to me by another member of this forum. I have a report on the TS debacle from an Afrikaans newspaper so, if reading Afrikaans is one of your talents, I will e-mail it to you.

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.476 seconds