Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 5 months ago #6597

• iaindh
  • iaindh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Brett, Frank,

this was posted on the TS FB website referring to the Beeld newspaper, but there is a translate icon you can use.....
m.news24.com/beeld/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Leer...k-nog-n-hoe-20121030
although it does come out a little gibberish... :silly:

regards, Iain

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank, I can almost guarantee that the LHR is no better off than any other South African Reserve Regiment. The latest horror story to emerge involves the Transvaal Scottish. Some of the details of this affair were passed on to me by another member of this forum. I have a report on the TS debacle from an Afrikaans newspaper so, if reading Afrikaans is one of your talents, I will e-mail it to you.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 5 months ago #6598

• iaindh
Hi Brett,

i'm sure they would have all been moved to places of safety; a little research is required, methinks, but I'll still go back to Primrose cemetery and have a better look. I only stay a few ks away.

regards, Iain

Brett Hendey wrote: .

Iain
I suppose the problem today is what does survive of the ILH monuments listed in 1905 and where they are located? I wonder if the Light Horse Regiment keeps records of ILH memorials?

Regards
Brett

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 5 months ago #6602

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
Well, I think this is all very sad, thanks for the email Brett. :(
Regards Frank

iaindh wrote: Hi Brett, Frank,

this was posted on the TS FB website referring to the Beeld newspaper, but there is a translate icon you can use.....
m.news24.com/beeld/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Leer...k-nog-n-hoe-20121030
although it does come out a little gibberish... :silly:

regards, Iain

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank, I can almost guarantee that the LHR is no better off than any other South African Reserve Regiment. The latest horror story to emerge involves the Transvaal Scottish. Some of the details of this affair were passed on to me by another member of this forum. I have a report on the TS debacle from an Afrikaans newspaper so, if reading Afrikaans is one of your talents, I will e-mail it to you.

Regards
Brett

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 5 months ago #6698

• iaindh
I dropped by Primrose cemetery again today looking for the elusive ILH memorial that should be there. I didn't find it but there are a few stones that have had brass inscriptions which have been picked off, presumably for scrap :(
I saw a few other interesting ones which I thought I'd post.
The 2 SAC stones have "Canada" at the top.
The sun was strong so the "Queens Bays" has a strong umbra shadow on it.
The other was erected by the state of Queensland.
Attachments:

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 5 months ago #6700

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Iain

In 2003, a researcher in the Transvaal sent me photographs of a grave in the Primrose Cemetery. The grave is of a man whose ABO I have in my collection - in fact it is one of only two ABO's that I have retained.

His grave is an imposing one and is inscribed as follows:

KAPt. J. E. NOLTE
GESNEUVELD
29. OCT. 1914
TE TREURFONTEIN
ONDER WIT VLAG MET
RAPPORT.
GEBOREN 11de JULI 1881

He was serving in the Heidelberg Commando during the 1914 Rebellion when he was killed, evidently while under a white flag carrying a message to the rebels.

Interestingly, he was not awarded any WWI service medals, since the British regarded the Rebellion as an internal South African affair and not part of the "Great War". Nolte's colleagues in the Heidelberg Commando who went on to fight in German South West Africa were awarded the WWI trio of medals. Nolte's only medal, the ABO, was claimed by his wife. It has him named to the Boksburg Commando.

Regards
Brett

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 5 months ago #6708

• iaindh
Hi Brett,

that's quite a sad story.
The grave wont be in the main ABW part of the cemetery as he died in 1914 and besides there are only British and Empire troops buried there.
Having said that, there is a single imposing monument to the employees of the Knights mine who lost their lives in the great war.
I did see some other great war memorials nearby as there wasn't, of course a great time difference.

regards, Iain

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.463 seconds