Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A previously unknown Imperial Light Horse memorial 11 years 4 months ago #6595

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
I read with interest the forum topic about Primrose cemetery and the subsequent threads about the ILH.

In Gibson's outstanding history of the Imperial Light Horse there is a story about Trooper Freshney of the Imperial Light Horse who was wounded at the battle of Colenso. He was shot straight through while lying down taking cover and nearly given up for dead before being rescued by his comrades. In his history, Gibson (1937) asked Trooper Freshney to get in touch as his old comrades were asking about him.

Alas, it was not possible. For a photo of his memorial in Saltfleet, Lincolnshire see www.flickr.com/photos/decipher_shot/4435924397/

Here is the description:

War Memorial, Saltfleet, Lincolnshire

In the little village of Saltfleet on the Lincolnshire coast stands an unusual war memorial in the form of a Village pump, whilst utilitarian in character a pump was a great asset in times before piped water. The memorial was erected in 1906 in memory of a casualty of the Boer War. As it may be difficult to read the inscription on this shot and in view of the unusual nature of the memorial I have reproduced it below.

In memory of Frederick Allen Freshney, Trooper, Imperial Light Horse, who was severely wounded at the Battle of Colenso, South Africa, December 15th 1899 and in consequence thereof died at Saltfleet May 20th 1906 aged 32 years.

Brave in action, patient in suffering.

Erected by his many friends.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: A previously unknown Imperial Light Horse memorial 11 years 4 months ago #6596

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Justin,

A very interesting post and sadly he never recovered from his wounds.....
I see the memorial has a poppy wreath on it. I didnt mention it earlier but one of the monuments in Primrose cemetery also had a lone poppy on it.
Thank you for sharing this.

Iain

Re: A previously unknown Imperial Light Horse memorial 11 years 4 months ago #6613

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Hi Justin

I was very interested to see your post on the Freshney Memorial. In April 1990, the 'Marshlander', a local parish magazine in Lincolnshire published an article about it, which led Jan Boylen to write as follows:
"This article inspired me to research more details about F A Freshney and his family. This eventually snowballed to become a One-Name Study. This opened the door to have a family gathering in August 1992, with Freshney's coming as far away as Australia and included relatives of F A Freshney."

Boylen's research led to the publication of Freshney's diary:
My Experiences in the South African War, 1899 - 1900' by Fred A Freshney.
Published by Jan Boylen for Friskney/Freshney Family History Society.
August 2003. ISBN 1 898745 00 5

Freshney's diary is a superb account of the early days of the ILH from the perspective of a Trooper. His wounding at the Battle of Colenso had tragic consequences for him, but it also meant that his record of life in the ILH was terminated early. It could have become one of the best accounts of the Boer War written by an "other ranker".

Freshney's diary was particularly useful to me when I was researching Trooper J P H Nelson, ILH, another Colenso casualty, whose QSA is in my collection. Freshney made numerous references to Nelson, starting with the following one:
"In our tent we had a fine old soldier, Nelson by name, a native of Denmark, who took part in the Franco-German War! He had been in the American navy, and had gone through many campaigns in South Africa. What Nelson did not know about "soldiering" was not worth knowing, it was most amusing to see the many unique ways he had of making himself comfortable."

Freshney's references to Nelson helped to make researching him one of the most rewarding I have undertaken.

I have written about Freshney elsewhere in another context. Near the end of his diary he wrote the following:
"Owing to the kind assistance of Mr Winston Churchill, M.P., I received my war medal, with the clasp for "Tugela Heights", earlier than I had anticipated, and I must say that when it arrived I felt a lump in my throat, and it was some time before I could bring myself to open the little box."

According to the best authorities, the 'Tugela Heights' clasp was never issued as a single clasp, and it certainly should not have been awarded to Freshney, who was out of action long before the battles of Tugela Heights took place. Nevertheless, Freshney's medal is recorded as such on the ILH roll, together with the names of another few early casualties of 'A' Squadron, ILH. Perhaps it was Churchill's intervention on Freshney's behalf that led to this error. Other less seriously wounded Colenso casualties, including Nelson, were correctly issued with QSA's carrying the 'Relief of Ladysmith' clasp and without the 'Tugela Heights' one.

Regards
Brett

Re: A previously unknown Imperial Light Horse memorial 11 years 4 months ago #6626

• iaindh
Hi Brett,
that really is a superb and amazing tale.
Do you have other medals for Nelson, from his other campaigns?
Such a pity about the diary but I'll look out for it.
regards, Iain

Re: A previously unknown Imperial Light Horse memorial 11 years 4 months ago #6630

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Hi Iain

If Nelson had any other medals they may have been lost when his house in Johannesburg was looted during the war. As I remember it, the looting took place after the British took Johannesburg and he lost all his possessions then. In spite of Nelson's claims of previous military experience, it has not been possible to substantiate them.

I have thought of putting Nelson's story on this forum, but it is long (about 12 pages) and not necessarily of general interest. However, if you do want to see it, please pm your e-mail address.

Regards
Brett

Re: A previously unknown Imperial Light Horse memorial 11 years 4 months ago #6676

• iaindh
Hi Brett,
thanks for sharing your research on Nelson; an interesting character! Either a career soldier or a Walter Mitty. But having said that, in Freshney's words, "what he didnt know about soldiering wasn't worth knowing;" so where did he get the experience?
I'm glad you mentioned the attempted rescue of the armoured train; the only other mention I've seen is in "Light Horse Cavalcade." Again, they were saved by a thunderstorm!
regards, Iain

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds