Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Recipients of the South African General Service Medal 1877-79 added to the site 3 years 6 months ago #71559

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Just over 39,000 records have been added to the site's register of names relating to men engaged in the Frontier Wars. These can be accessed via Name Search or the unit.

The information is sourced from many places; WO100, I Tavender, N Holme, R Dutton, Spink, DNW, ...

There is a new section in the Unit information called Frontier Wars units. This lists the 215 units that were engaged in the Frontier Wars but not in the Boer War. I have started to add information to these units but this is very sparse at present. I have taken some information that was contained in the Terry Sole Spink catalogue last year and plan to work through Tylden's book. Any help with unit information would be much appreciated

Where reference is made in the SAGS rolls to an Imperial unit eg 24th Foot, this has been translated into the post 1881 name to align with the Boer Wars units that already exist on the site. As an example, the 93rd Foot was renamed the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders so all their entries can be found via the ASH unit page (or Name Search).

Here are the entries for Colonel Hannay who fought in the Frontier Wars and was killed at Paardeberg. Interestingly, his MID appears under the Staff unit (as many senior officers do).

As with all research, this is work in progress. My plan is to expand and develop my source data with biographies, extant medal details, more WO100 references etc and periodically refresh the data on the site.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, davidh, Rory, RobCT, Rookie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Recipients of the South African General Service Medal 1877-79 added to the site 3 years 6 months ago #71561

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
A brilliant initiative! Thank you David - this is a huge value-add.

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.527 seconds