• Page:

TOPIC:

South African Philately Club 3 years 5 months ago #72884

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
I was contacted today by the editor of the South African Philately Club, a free online community: See: southafricanphilatelyclub.com/

One of the recent articles by Dr Joachim Frank, entitled "Canadian Participation in the South African War" is 54 pages in length and traces the engagement through the lens of postal history. A very interesting read: southafricanphilatelyclub.com/wp-content...th_African_War_2.pdf
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, David Grant, BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

South African Philately Club 3 years 5 months ago #72969

• Moranthorse1
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 764
David,
Many thanks for sharing this link. When you read the letters home in the many regimental histories from serving soldiers in SA you realise how much the men looked forward to contact from home. It rated perhaps only second to having enough food!
In this case the mail from Canada passed through many hands as evidenced by the number of postmarks on some of the covers displayed in the link. No wonder it took a long time to reach the recipient.
You certainly get to feel the patriotic fervour in many of the colourful envelopes and cards.
This must be a very good reference which I will refer to in future. Many of the designs, all with an interest in the Boer War may already be familiar with. I would recommend everyone to take the time to read through this fascinating piece of work.

A couple of stories within the article particularly caught my eye and lead me to a couple of questions though not really direct questions about the specific topic, if I may. I would very much appreciate comment from the forum please.

1---one letter mentions the departure of the "Pomeranians" as part of the 1st Canadian Contingent. Who were they?
2---another letter referring to a man wounded at Paardeberg was sent to the wonderfully named "Miss Huskisson's Soldier's Home". I am guessing this was a convalescent home for the wounded? Who was Miss Huskisson? No doubt a benevolent soul.
Kind regards,
Steve

South African Philately Club 3 years 5 months ago #72973

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Steve,

You're right about the importance of these letters in adding richness and colour to our understanding of this and other conflicts. When you read the despatches, they can sound very sterile as they list the movements, times and numbers involved. The letters, as the philately site and many of Berenice's posts show, give us a personal dimension which is so important to a fuller appreciation of the life and times of these men and women.

I did a search for Pomeranians and found myself in a whole world of canine sites which is quite unusual for me. I have raised the question to one of my Canadian colleagues and will see what he says. I would also expect that Mike will have the answer.

Percy Huskisson was a member of the South African General Mission. I am guessing the woman you mention was his daughter?

Mr. Percy Huskisson, of the South African General Mission, quickly secured the use of the native day school, which was also the worship room for the Wesleyan natives, and fitted it up as a Soldiers' Home. He and his colleague, Mr. Darroll, were indefatigable in their efforts on behalf of the men, and night by night the newly transformed Home was crowded. Lord Methuen himself opened it, and personally thanked the workers for their splendid services on the field of battle. In the course of his address, he said: 'I have heard of newspaper correspondents risking their lives when they are well paid for it, but you fellows seem to have no idea of danger; the shadow of the Almighty seems over you, or you would have been, ere this, in your graves, with many more of our brave men.' But under the shadow of the Almighty, the workers were secure, and are secure to-day!
Source: www.angloboerwar.com/books/93-sellers-fr...-v-with-lord-methuen

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

South African Philately Club 3 years 5 months ago #72975

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Steve,

I have an update on the epithet question. My colleague says 'I believe the term must refer to the S.S. POMERANIAN that transported some of the Canadians to South Africa. Another rather cramped little vessel took the RCRI and was called the S.S. SARDINIAN and the compressed passengers called themselves the Sardines!'

I did not know that.
Dr David Biggins

South African Philately Club 3 years 5 months ago #72977

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Steve......

Here is a thread with the transcript of a couple of letters from a Canadian..... Wish I had the envelopes.....

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...ts-horse-etc?start=6

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

South African Philately Club 3 years 5 months ago #72978

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning David......

Something for you......

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/19-ephemera/8...gram-2nd-c-m-r#10104

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.039 seconds