• Page:

TOPIC:

Viewing the PDFs on an iPhone/iPad 13 years 2 weeks ago #353

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4543
Having uploaded quite a few PDFs to the site, I have noticed that these cannot be viewed correctly on an iPhone or iPad. When the file is clicked to open it, the file is transferred but when it opens, every page is blank.

I have been looking into why this happens and think it is due to the compression used on the file. To be a searchable PDF, the original page from say, a Who's Who, is converted to text by a computer and this text is then hidden behind an image of the original page. In this way, it seems as though you are reading the original document yet you have the ability to search it as though the text had been typed by a computer. Over one or two pages, the degree of compression used to make the file as small as possible does not matter but for a document of hundreds of pages, the most efficient compression algorithms are used. I think it is this compression technique that is stopping the iPhone and iPad from viewing the document correctly.

I have experimented with using different types of compression and these have been successful. The problem is that the resulting file be twice the size of the file that uses the more efficient compression.

If you have a look at this page, all of the PDFs use the efficient compression and cannot therefore be accessed by the iPhone / iPad. There is a test file at the bottom of the table which can be opened by an iPhone / iPad. www.angloboerwar.com/books/118-amery-tim...mes-history-volume-i

I will continue to search for a solution.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds