Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Return of troops marching into Bloemfontein paperwork 4 years 8 months ago #64808

• RT1980
  • RT1980's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, Does anyone know what these paper work are and what they mean? Other than the obvious, I just wondered what the significance of it is and how my Great Grandad managed to keep hold if it. Many thanks.

Tally Sheet
Officers of divisions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Return of troops marching into Bloemfontein paperwork 4 years 8 months ago #64814

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Rob
Apart from the obvious - as you say - it is clear that your GGF took some care to mount and frame both illustrated documents for posterity. Over the years, I have seen both items reproduced in published accounts of the campaign and examples have shown up in the past on a favourite on-line auction site.
At the time, the fall of Bloemfontein was seen as being important; it being the capital of the Orange Free State. Bloemfontein surrendered peacefully to Lord Roberts on 31/3/1900 - and someone who had taken part in the advance to that capital may have wanted a keepsake of the occasion.
Was your GGF in the field with Lord Roberts' army around that time? If you know of his medal clasp entitlement, it may be possible to answer that question. If you are unaware, should you supply his name and Regiment, one or another Forum member could assist by searching the rolls.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RT1980

Return of troops marching into Bloemfontein paperwork 4 years 8 months ago #64848

• RT1980
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Linneyl , Thank you for your reply, it’s really interesting what you have wrote. I’ve spent the afternoon finding more about him. I just wondered if every solider had a copy given to them or he just obtained it somehow like you have said.

3312 Private William Taylor of the 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire.

He was injured just outside Pretoria on 6th June 1900. I’ve scanned a letter from the Commanding officer to my Great Grandmother describing the injury.
Letter 21/06/1900
Also I have a few photos of him and wondered if this photo in the link is of the boar war period?
William Taylor’s uniform photo
Kind regards Rob.

Return of troops marching into Bloemfontein paperwork 4 years 8 months ago #64849

• RT1980
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

Thank you for your reply . Its just really interesting to see how he managed to get his hands on the paper work and if all soldiers involved had a copy.?

My Great Grandad was :- Private 3312 William Taylor of the 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment .

He was injured just outside Pretoria on 6th June 1900.
Letter of injury

I was also looking at a few photos I have of him and wondered if this photo is the uniform from the boar war period?
Uniform

Return of troops marching into Bloemfontein paperwork 4 years 8 months ago #64867

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Rob
Sorry for the delay in answering. I checked the casualty rolls and found "3312 Pte. A. Taylor" of 2nd Bn., RWR; wounded Pretoria 4/6/00. The QSA medal rolls have him as "3312. Pte. W. Taylor" and entitled to have the clasps "Cape Colony", "Orange Free State" and "Johannesburg" on his medal. The medal roll was signed at Bermuda on 29/9/01.
Sometimes the initials of soldiers do get recorded wrongly; in my collection I have one example were both the regimental number and part of the surname were incorrect!
The goings of the 2RWR in South Africa during the campaign were initially in the Cape Colony, putting down an uprising. They joined the main army in April 1900 and were in the advance to Pretoria. The 2RWR had a number of casualties on 4/6/00 outside Pretoria; mostly wounded. Pretoria surrendered and was formally entered by Lord Roberts on 5/6/1900.
The photo of your GGF is a very good one. Typical uniform of the time.
The paperwork you have could well have been compiled by some harassed junior staff officer - imagine the work needed to get the totals looking right! If so, copies would have been valued by the troops - and sent home to families. I note that both of your documents have been creased/folded - an indication of postage or just being kept on the person for posterity.
There are a few "coulds" in my closing remarks. Really, we will never know. However, what we DO know is that you have a remarkable time capsule to add to your family history.
Best regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, RT1980

Return of troops marching into Bloemfontein paperwork 4 years 8 months ago #64895

• RT1980
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you again, you’ve answered a lot of questions that I’ve been wondering about for a very long time. Unfortunately no medals were found in my grandparents belongings. I gather another family member may have had them many years ago.
I have been cross referencing the uniform in the photo, and I’m glad you have pretty much confirmed it is of the era. :)

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds