Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Please help with the Primary Source for these ABW Maps 1 year 4 months ago #87616

• Trev
  • Trev's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi,

I'm seeking assistance from our knowledgeable members who can identify which reference books the below maps hail from. After conducting an internet search to find some period maps, I located a number of these maps which I believe are from the same book. Please see attached examples -

Thanks for any help provided.

Trev
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Please help with the Primary Source for these ABW Maps 1 year 4 months ago #87617

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1540
Trev
The maps are from volumes of the Times History of the War in South Africa. For example, that showing a representation of the battle of Poplar Grove is from Vol. 111 and placed between pages 570 and 571 of that volume.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trev

Please help with the Primary Source for these ABW Maps 1 year 4 months ago #87618

• Trev
  • Trev's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 204
Linneyl,
Great work and thanks for the fast response. Having a quick look online I see that there are seven volumes in this series of books.

Trev

Please help with the Primary Source for these ABW Maps 1 year 4 months ago #87620

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1540
Trev
Quite so. For my second ABW library (the first went back about twenty plus years ago), I have only managed to get Vols III, IV and V and full sets now are very pricy and postage costs for the full seven Vols similarly. However, all is not lost as Vol VII is available as Print on Demand and I suppose the others as well. Additionally, PDFs of the complete series are available on this site.
As General Editor of the series, L.S. Amery had a few axes to grind and this can become obvious. However, the series (in part or full) are a useful addition.
Another useful series is the four volume Official History (Maurice) available in reprint form from N@MP.
For maps, I like Chris Ash's Boer War Atlas.
Regards
IL.

Please help with the Primary Source for these ABW Maps 1 year 4 months ago #87640

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Trev......

I have all seven volumes, not all the same, picked up three and then one at a time from ebay for the other four.......

If you are interested in maps suggest you look at this thread......

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/13-miscellany...and-sketches?start=6

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.685 seconds