TOPIC:

Men of Worth Project 9 years 8 months ago #22039

• Andy Wade
  • Andy Wade's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Everyone,

My name is Andy Wade and along with my colleague Ian Walkden, we run The Men of Worth Project. It's all free to access and founded in the community interest and we certainly don't make any money at it (that's not why we do it anyway). We're at www. menofworth.org.uk. The Project creates biographies of the men and women of Keighley and the Worth Valley in West Yorkshire who served their country in wartime. Our earliest records are of men who served in the battle of Waterloo.
For the most part recently (and for obvious reasons) we have been focusing on WW1 but we also have quite a bit of information about Keighley and other local men who went off to fight as volunteers in the Boer War.
I'll be adding some of our Boer War information here and probably asking some questions as well as we work our way through the list of men whom we know came from our locality to serve in the Boer War.
We are lucky enough to have several named photographs of our men and some newspaper cuttings from the local library archives which I have scanned. They detail the initial call up of the men and their send-off from the town early on in the war period. I'll make these available as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Men of Worth Project 9 years 8 months ago #22040

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Andy,

That sounds an excellent project. Named photos are always welcome and I'm sure we can assist with your research too.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Men of Worth Project 9 years 8 months ago #22092

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Andy,

Given the grouping of regimental numbers of the Keighley men, I looked in one of the intervening numbers, 6151, to see to whom this belonged. It is a Haworth man

DEARNLEY WALTER 1880 — 1900 British Army Service Records 1760-1915 Haworth, Yorkshire, England

Is that outside your scope?

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.355 seconds