• Page:

TOPIC:

sgt George Worrod connaught rangers 9 years 5 months ago #23338

• cacti13
  • cacti13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everybody, just found this site. My interest is my great uncle sgt George Worrod 4675 of the connaught rangers. He was wounded at ladysmith on the 23rd of February and died on the 10th of April 1900 and is buried at Chieveley.
My grandfather told me he was one of the first foot soldiers to march in to ladysmith as part of the Relief. Do not if this is true but i saw a film of men marching into ladysmith and the 1st 5 men it shows 2 are sgt s.
If anyone has information about George, connaught rangers or know of any films about ladysmith, colenso or that area?
Thank Richard cacti13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

sgt George Worrod connaught rangers 9 years 5 months ago #23346

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Richard

The Connaught Rangers were part of Major-General Hart's 5th (Irish) Brigade during the operations to relieve the Siege of Ladysmith. Your Great Uncle was wounded on 23 February 1900 during the Battle of Tugela Heights at what became known as Hart's Hill. The Connaught Rangers and other Irish regiments suffered heavy casualties while attacking the entrenched Boers, and their courage won the admiration of friend and foe alike.

Since George Worrod was wounded a few days before, and if his later death was due to his wounds, it is unlikely that he took part in the formal entry into Ladysmith on 3 March. However, if his wound was not incapacitating, and his death on 10 April was due to other causes (disease is most likely), then he could well have taken part in the march.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

sgt George Worrod connaught rangers 8 years 7 months ago #43050

• missbrum
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello

George Worrod is also my great grand uncle I do have a copy of his death cert and he did die of disease on the 10 April 1900.

Hope this helps.

Regards Zena

sgt George Worrod connaught rangers 8 years 7 months ago #43051

• cacti13
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Zena
Thank you for the reply. It is nice to find someone related to George. I was told stories about him from my granddad George Newton ,who was Elizabeth Worrod s son. I have his medals and army knife. I think i have a photo of him. Do you have any more info about him?
With a name miss brum ,i guess you are from Birmingham. Myself i live in Castle Bromwich Birmingham. I have some documents and other information about the Worrods in Birmingham and Warwickshire. Would you be interested in share any information?
Thank you
Richard

sgt George Worrod connaught rangers 8 years 7 months ago #43052

• missbrum
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Richard

I used to live in Kingshurst my mom still there so not far from you.

I have just been looking up info on him and the Worrods.

My email addy is [email protected]

I would love to hare info with you. Your Elizabeth was the sister of my great grandfather Charles Dennis.

Regards Zena

sgt George Worrod connaught rangers 8 years 7 months ago #43053

• cacti13
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi zena
I have looked at the Birmingham worrods l alot over the years, and can tell you a few stories. Other brothers join the the army like Joseph who my dad remembers.
Do you live in Birmingham at the moment? Because i would like to share my information with you.
My email is [email protected]
Thank you
Richard

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.649 seconds