• Page:

TOPIC:

Royal Dublin Fusiliers 9 years 3 months ago #25181

• Tullowlad
  • Tullowlad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello to all,have been gathering up as much information on my great uncle john murphy private 6848 ,RDF. ,for the last year ,while doing my family tree.discovered his king and queens medals and was lucky enough to get his records from the national archives..I am always interested to learn more about the boer war and maybe some of the places he fought ..what pay was like for a private.were they treated well ,food etc..I was wondering was there many other young lads from around the Tullow,Co.Carlow area who might have joined with him..I had discovered a boer war photo a number of years ago with around 6 to 8 soldiers in it ,but off course at the time we were renovating my grandfathers property and I can't seem to be able to find it ...I might be lucky and maybe there was a copy belonging to another person in the photo that still survived ..if I seen the photo again I would recognise it ..well it's great to join this very interesting and educational web site ...regards jim murphy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Royal Dublin Fusiliers 9 years 3 months ago #25183

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Welcome, Jim.

It sounds like you have gathered a lot of information and can empathise about that photograph too!

His QSA says his was in the RDF and attached to what looks like the 6th RDF. His KSA was issued off the roll for the 1st RDF.

Recruiting for regiments like the RDF was, I think, very localised. You only need to look at the medal rolls to see that.

I wish you well with your research
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tullowlad

Royal Dublin Fusiliers 9 years 3 months ago #25186

• Tullowlad
  • Tullowlad's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for the welcome,great site ,you deserve a lot of credit for your dedication .well done..I will keep adding to my great uncles records so his past life will be carried on to my kids and my family .

Royal Dublin Fusiliers 9 years 3 months ago #25187

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Jim,

There is some information on the 1st Battalion's exploits here: angloboerwar.com/unit-information/imperi...yal-dublin-fusiliers

Do you have the date he arrived in SA so that you can track some of his movements.

There is a book on the 2nd RDF on this site but no books about the 1st sadly.

You will be passing on a wonderful inheritance to your children.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tullowlad

Royal Dublin Fusiliers 9 years 3 months ago #25188

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
There is a set of books with the history of the 1st Battalion RDF but it is a limited edition and quite expensive.......

Neill's Blue Caps 1639 - 1922 3 Volumes + Map Volume in Slip-Case by Wylly Col H C

It is available on ABE Books at this site:

www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?b...n%3Ddublin+fusiliers

Description:

330pp, 229pp, 247pp, maps, the history of the 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers, founded in 1639 as the East India Company's European Regiment and later the 102nd Royal Madras Fusiliers, colour and black & white plates, blue buckram, beautiful set - 3 volumes + maps volume. Volume I 1639-1826, Volume II 1826-1914, Volume III 1914-1922. All new in blue buckram slipcase. Limited Edition of 200 sets. Digital images available on request. Bookseller Inventory # 004115

The seller is in the UK......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Royal Dublin Fusiliers 9 years 3 months ago #25204

• carlowgirl
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Tullowlad, My Grandfather was from Carlow and he was also in the Boer war, I have posted a photo of him with a couple of other men in it. I wonder if your Great Uncle had to enlist from Carlow?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.516 seconds