TOPIC:

great grandfather 9 years 1 month ago #26134

• iamtheoldcodger
  • iamtheoldcodger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
hi all,
my name is George i am 67 years old and paralysed after two strokes i live in the u.k and write a lot under my name the old codger. i have been trying to get help re my great grandfather his name on my Nan's birth certificate is James cowland, he is in the 1st essex regiment at the time 1902, i do not have any more info on him but i know he lived in east London i can,t find his age but their is a James born in 1894 but he could not be my Nn's father at that age, however their is a William James Cowland. i would love to find out if he served in the Boar war and what happened to him i hope all that read the forum do not mind me posting this
george

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

great grandfather 9 years 1 month ago #26135

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
There was certainly a James Cowland, an eighteen year old labourer from Canning Town who joined the Militia and was posted to the 4th Essex Regiment as number 8086 Private, on the 21st of November 1900, embodied for service on the 9th of January 1901 and disembodied on the 8th of July 1901, so did certainly serve during the Anglo Boer War.

iamtheoldcodger wrote: hi all,
my name is George i am 67 years old and paralysed after two strokes i live in the u.k and write a lot under my name the old codger. i have been trying to get help re my great grandfather his name on my Nan's birth certificate is James cowland, he is in the 1st essex regiment at the time 1902, i do not have any more info on him but i know he lived in east London i can,t find his age but their is a James born in 1894 but he could not be my Nn's father at that age, however their is a William James Cowland. i would love to find out if he served in the Boar war and what happened to him i hope all that read the forum do not mind me posting this
george

great grandfather 9 years 1 month ago #26136

• iamtheoldcodger
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
thanks for that Frank, i will now dig deeper into his life and see his war records if they still have them, it looks a very short time but there must be a reason why i also do not have what he did after
thanks again
george

great grandfather 9 years 1 month ago #26137

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello George,
So are you saying this particular James Cowland is actually or likely to be the man in question?
Regards Frank Kelley

great grandfather 9 years 1 month ago #26138

• iamtheoldcodger
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
yes this is the right person James Cowland

great grandfather 9 years 1 month ago #26142

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello George

There is no J Cowland 8086 Essex Rgt on the medal rolls. The 4th bn do not appear to have served en bloc in SA, there is only a handful of men on the roll who served attached to the Mounted Infantry. Embodiment doesn't necessarily mean overseas service. In Col GJ Hay's Epitomized History of the Militia: The Constitutional Force (1908) no overseas service is shown for the 4th bn.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.428 seconds