• Page:

TOPIC:

Royal Dublin Fusiliers - Granpa's enlistment date. 12 years 7 months ago #1086

• ronrush
  • ronrush's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
My Grandfather Henry Rushbrooke was a Private 6460 in the 2nd Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers from 1899 to 1903 in the 2nd Boer War. I know he was "demobbed" in December 1903.I have found online his 2 Medals & 6 Battle Clasps record for his service in the 2nd Boer War but would like to know how to find when & where he enlisted in the RDF. Born in 1881 he must have been under 18 when he enrolled.

How do I find his RDF service record ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Royal Dublin Fusiliers - Granpa's enlistment date. 12 years 7 months ago #1090

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello

First try FindmyPast.co.uk then ancestry.co.uk in the "WWI Pensions papers".

Good luck
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: Royal Dublin Fusiliers - Granpa's enlistment date. 12 years 7 months ago #1091

• ronrush
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Meurig for your help.

I do already have his enlistment date in 1914 for the Great War and that document stated that he had been demobbed from the RDF 2nd Battalion in 1903. That seemed to confirm what I had been told by my parents that he was a boy soldier in the Boer War. I found his Boer War medal & battle clasp record online but what I am searching for and have not been able to find is ...when or where he FIRST joined(approx 1898) the RDF to go to the Boer War.
He was born in 1881 and was in S.Africa in the 2nd Battalion before the Boer War started in 1899 so it seems he was only 18 or less taking account of time for basic training and sea passage from UK to S.Africa after enlisting.
Thank you for trying to help me. I will keep looking.
Regards
Ronrush
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWB

Re: Royal Dublin Fusiliers - Granpa's enlistment date. 12 years 7 months ago #1092

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Ronrush,

It is likley that his earlier service papers don't exist. For WWI soldiers recalled to the Army their papers relating to early service were filed with WWI papers. All systems break down, and what you have found (or not found!) is not uncommon.

If he was discharged in 1903 then using the terms of service - 5 or 7 years with the colours then he enlisted in 1898 (age 17) or 1896 (age 15).

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: Royal Dublin Fusiliers - Granpa's enlistment date. 12 years 7 months ago #1093

• ronrush
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Meurig, Thank you once again for your help.
The fact that there were 5 or 7 years terms of service with the Colours is a big help.I will keep looking for any opportunity to find his first enlistment date but I feel I have enough facts now to form a picture of his early life.

I find it strange that on the numerous conversations I had with him in my youth he never once mentioned his military service in the Boer War or the Great War. My fault for not asking maybe ?

You have been very helpful Meurig...Thankyou,

Regards,
Ronrush

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds