• Page:

TOPIC:

Introduction 12 years 6 months ago #1088

• k_lef10
  • k_lef10's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am writing a novel about the Boer War and would like to say "Hi!" to forum members and to the owners and administrators of this site. I've visited many times over the past few years and have learned so much about the war and those who fought.

Kim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Introduction 12 years 6 months ago #1099

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Hi Kim,

Welcome to the site.

I don't think the Boer War is the basis for many novels. Not sure why that is?

I'm presuming you don't want to give an outline of your novel at this stage? Presuming not, I'll stop asking questions and wish you well with the writing.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Introduction 12 years 6 months ago #1103

• k_lef10
  • k_lef10's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi David!
The Boer War is fascinating - from the time period to the people like Churchill, Kitchener, Kruger and de Wet who served, to the war tactics employed by both the British and the Boer commandos, to the character of the Boers. My story centers on a young woman who wants to become a famous newspaper reporter and chooses the war as her vehicle to fame and fortune. However, when she lands in South Africa, she realizes the romantic picture of war she carries from England is much different from the reality of war on the veldt in the wake of Kitchener's scorched-earth policy.

Have you seen the new movie, "The Tracker"? It's a NZ film that takes place in 1905, I think, after the war. One of the main protagonists is a former Boer soldier/farmer. Very interesting film!

Kim

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds