TOPIC:

Lilywhites Hussars research from USA 12 years 6 months ago #1135

• Hambrook
  • Hambrook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Everyone,
I now live in the USA and I am researching my grandfather, Frederick Hambrook May who was in the British calavry (either 11th or 13th Hussars) during the abw and who married someone from the Buthelie camp and never went back to England. I'm researching how they met and also, he referred to himself as a Lilywhite and I believed them to be the 13th Hussars but I can only find an F. May under the 11th Hussars. Could there be a mistake? Anyone know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lilywhites Hussars research from USA 5 years 1 month ago #62349

• CynBro
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi. I have been researching my family for a few years now and Frederick Hambrook May is my great grandfather. He married Christina Josephine Greyling, a widow, born WEBB on the 24th March 1903 in Wepener, OFS. They had 9 children that I'm aware of. Unfortunately this is all I know of him and would love to know more if you would be willing to share. Warm Regards

Lilywhites Hussars research from USA 5 years 1 month ago #62350

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Here are the May's from the Cavalry list that I have...…

May,A.,3197,Private,12th Lancers, Paardeberg, Dreifontein, Belfast, Relief of Kimberley.
May,A.,4682,Sergeant,17th Lancers,Johannesburg,Cape Colony,OFS,1901. Severe Wound, nr Tarkastad, 17/09/01
May,A.H.,4306,Private,10th Hussars ,Johannesburg, Diamond Hill,Wittebergen,Cape Colony. Wounded, Irene, 20/04/00. Prisoner, Moorresburg,
11/11/01. Rejoined
May,C.,3706,Private,17th Lancers, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Belfast, Cape Colony, OFS. Severe Wound, nr Cradock, 30/01/02. Number '3796' on
Casualty Roll
May,C.J.,4307,Private,10th Hussars, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Wittebergen, Cape Colony.
May,E.,4279,Private,19th Hussars, Belfast, OFS, Defence of Ladysmith,Laing's Nek.
May,Edwin C.,4226,Private,1st Dragoon Guards, Cape Colony, OFS, Transvaal,1901,1902. Initials 'H.C.' and a Corporal on E.C. Roll
May,F.,3882,Private,11th Hussars, Cape Colony, OFS, Transvaal, Defence of Ladysmith. Attached to 5th Dragoon Guards. Since with S.A.C.
May,H.,4978,Private,1st Dragoons, Cape Colony,OFS,Transvaal,1901,1902.
May,J.,3479,Private,19th Hussars, Belfast, OFS, Laing's Nek. Discharged, 07/07/02
May,R.M.,4184,Private,19th Hussars,Belfast,OFS,Defence of Ladysmith,Laing's Nek. Listed on Roll as Dead
May,T.,5413,Private,17th Lancers,Cape Colony,1901,1902.
May,T.,3967,Private,1st Dragoons, Cape Colony, OFS, Transvaal, Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Laing's Nek, KSA. Prisoner, Heepoort, 20/07/01. Released
May,T.,3752,Private,6th Dragoon Guards, Cape Colony, OFS, Transvaal, 1901, 1902.
May,W.,5054,Private,10th Hussars, Transvaal.
May,W.,3901,Lance Corporal,1st Dragoons, Cape Colony, OFS, Transvaal, Tugela Heights,Relief of Ladysmith, Laing's Nek, KSA. A Private on E.C. Roll
May,W.,4220,Private,2nd Dragoon Guards, Cape Colony, OFS, Transvaal,1901,1902. To 4th Prov. Regt. of Dragoons for Transfer to Army Reserve
May,W.,4947,Private,8th Hussars,OFS,Transvaal,1901,1902.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hambrook, CynBro

Lilywhites Hussars research from USA 5 years 1 month ago #62351

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
Mike,

Just what is this Cavalry list you refer to?

George

Lilywhites Hussars research from USA 5 years 1 month ago #62353

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
George...…

The list is from a fellow collector who has gone through all the medal rolls and compounded a list of all the members of the cavalry who served in South Africa. I also checked Find My Past and he is not listed there.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Georgegt351

Lilywhites Hussars research from USA 5 years 2 weeks ago #62779

• Hambrook
  • Hambrook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Cynbro
Sorry I took so long to reply. It went into my Spam box and I only checked the Spam box today. Yes, my grandfather Frederick Hambrook May was married to a widow namely, Christina Greyling. I have that on my father's birth certificate though I did not have the year they (Frederick and Christina) were married so that was new to me. She had two children from her first husband, Paul Greyling (who died in Ceylon during the Boer War) The eldest child, a boy was Paul and the girl Louie was actually born in Bethulie Camp. After marrying Frederick May she had another 11 children but twins died, I believe, at birth so 9 were left. They are Frederick, the eldest of the boys, then my dad, George William, then Billy. The girls were Florence, Lily, Lizzie, Mable, Jessie, and Winnie. My Dad, George William (known as Jock) was born in Wepener in 1911 but brought up in Mafeking where the family moved and where Frederick Hambrook was a warden at the Mafeking jail. He died in 1938 in Johannesburg.

I notice you also live in the USA, who was your father or mother?
Kindest regards

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds