• Page:

TOPIC:

Great Great Grandfather 12 years 4 months ago #1472

• Dai Parker
  • Dai Parker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, my name is Dai Parker and i'm currently researching my family tree and in particular my great great grandfather Joseph Parker.Joseph was born in Aberdare, Mid Glamorgan South Wales in 1881 and we are told that he served in South Africa. So i am trying to find out as much information as i can on Josephs military career. Many Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Great Great Grandfather 12 years 4 months ago #1474

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Dai, good to have you on board. I've had a quick look for Joseph and J Parkers and it would seem there are quite a few. Any chance you know of a second name? There are quite a few British Army service records for Joseph/J Parkers on "Find My Past" as well as Boer War medal rolls. There are also a considerable number of J Parkers in the Boer War casualty rolls.

As a long shot I checked remaining WWI records (most having been destroyed in the Blitz) and found nothing for a Joseph Parker with Boer War service, born in 1881 in Aberdare. I did find the service record for a Joseph Parker from Aberdare, Glamorgan. His age differs though. On 4 September 1914 his age is given as 20 years 5 months indicating he was born in 1894 only. His father's name is given as Thomas and his address looks like 22 Abermont (?) Rd, Aberdare. This man served in the South Wales Borders, Cycle Corps, RE and the Royal West Kents. He was wounded in France on 7 June 1917 and in 1935 was living in Alberta, Canada. Perhaps this man is another relative?

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Great Great Grandfather 12 years 4 months ago #1483

• Dai Parker
  • Dai Parker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Mark, thanks for taking the time to do some research for me. I think the Joseph you mentioned is a different Joseph to mine because he lived all his life in South Wales and i've found him living in Pontypridd in the 1911 census. If there are a lot of J parkers in the records for the Boer War is there a way of narrowing it down a bit. Someone i know suggested to find out what regiment he would of been likely to join from South Wales and go from that if you know what i mean. Anyway thanks for your help, many ,many regards.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds