TOPIC:

Howdy Folks 13 years 1 month ago #158

• JammyDodgers
  • JammyDodgers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

I've "joined up" on foot of research into my Great Grand Father William George Chalkley who served in the RAMC. I do have some information on his service which I will post in the relevant section, bot for the interest of others & in the hope that I may be able to gain more information about life in this war.

Looking forward to exchanging research with you all

JammyDodgers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Howdy Folks 13 years 1 month ago #160

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
JammyDodgers,

Thank you for your post.

A quick look at the medal rolls shows 10093 Lance Corporal W G Chalkley serving with No 15 Field Hospital. The QSA roll shows entitlement to the three clasps Transvaal, Relief of Ladysmith and Tugela Heights. The reference for the roll is WO100/223 p44. It also says he had served in No 9 Field Hospital and that he was promoted to Corporal on 15 Nov 1901.

The KSA roll (WO100/351 p79) shows entitlement to the two clasps SA01 and SA02 to the KSA.

It would be worth searching for his service papers at the National Archives. You can do this or employ a professional researcher to do it for you. There are also on-line options to pursue.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: JammyDodgers

Re: Howdy Folks 13 years 1 month ago #171

• JammyDodgers
  • JammyDodgers's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks David,

I had found the Medal references on Ancestry some time ago but really have no idea where to start looking for sevice papers. Given that I live in Ireland it's not so easy to head on over to the National Archives & they dont appear to be digitised for this particular war yet. I will put up what I have, incuding a photo if the man himself in the research section.

Thanks again

JD

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds