Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The Pretoria Plot, aka The Cordua Affair, and Detective Gano 8 years 11 months ago #41503

• ddkaufman
  • ddkaufman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
goo.gl/4eyiR3

The news article at link concerns the activities of Detective Lewis Gano, described as being part of the Secret Service. Depending on which account you read, Gano either instigated the plot to entrap Lieutenant Cordua or he infiltrated the plotters, persuaded Cordua to trust him and then exposed the plot to British authorities. In the article, Gano is described as an American who had served with Montmorency's Scouts (borne out by unit records).

Based on research I've done, I am certain that Lewis Gano was my grandfather. Lewis Gano was not his real name, although why he adopted an alias I do not know. His real name was Leon Kaufman. He was born in New York in 1875 and moved to Los Angeles in the mid 1890s. He was one of the original members of Brabant's Horse and switched to Montmorency's Scouts in early 1900. He saw combat at least until the battle at Dewetsdorp, before transferring to the police.

After the war He returned to New York. He reentered service with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in France, again serving as Lewis Gano with the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade. He mustered out in 1919. In 1920 he moved to Tulsa Oklahoma, then a boom town. He married, had a family, and lived the rest of his life there, dying in August 1948.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.336 seconds