• Page:

TOPIC:

Pte Charles Howard 3704 Royal Scots Lothian Rgt 8 years 8 months ago #42681

• pgilbert
  • pgilbert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, i'm trying to get any information on my great grandfather who served during the Anglo-Boer war, i know he was awarded the DCM but the citation has been lost. Many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte Charles Howard 3704 Royal Scots Lothian Rgt 8 years 8 months ago #42686

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Pgilbert
The book "Recipients of the DCM" shows "3704 Pte. Howard, C Royal Scots" , award notified in London Gazette of 27.9.01 and announced in Army Order AO 15/02. Very often there are not any details given for these awards. Suggest you check the Regimental History and have his records accessed.
Good luck
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pgilbert

Pte Charles Howard 3704 Royal Scots Lothian Rgt 8 years 8 months ago #42688

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Charles Howard, a nineteen year old Coal Porter from Islington joined the Army, the 2nd Battalion Royal Scots, in London on the 2nd of June 1890, he had joined the Reserve on the 2nd of June 1898 before being recalled, with actual wartime service in South Africa from the 6th of November 1899 to the 7th of August 1902, all of this with the 1st Battalion, he was discharged the same day and awarded his DCM by Army Order Number 15 of 1902.
Quite frankly, given the lack of detail in WO363, I'd go with the contemporary press of the day and any published regimental history you can find as an obvious next step forward.
WO100/116 and WO100/319 confirm both his pair and all five clasps, the latter also shows he left for home upon his discharge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pgilbert

Pte Charles Howard 3704 Royal Scots Lothian Rgt 8 years 7 months ago #43155

• pgilbert
  • pgilbert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Many thanks for the reply and information on where i can further my research. I obtained the "Diary of services of the First Battalion The Royal Scots" during the Boer War. My great grandfathers awards and DCM are mentioned, but alas no engagement details. I have also obtained the relevant copies of the London gazette and although the DCM is listed, again no further information. My brother has a hand written reference from a captain (im sure that it's Wingate) saying that it was "well deserved". If i could get a copy of this and confirm the Captains name, would this be a way forward, through private papers etc? Also I have the Medals and the tin with the chocolate still intact, do you think that these would be of interest to the museum?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds