• Page:

TOPIC:

Unable to trace Meda recipient. 8 years 7 months ago #43026

• Barmas69
  • Barmas69's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi. I have just joined your forum as I have acquired an interest in Boer war weapons and militaria. I have recently obtained two Boer war medals, one of the medals has the following bars attached:- ORANGE FREE STATE, TRANSVALL, RELIEF OF LADYSMITH, TUGELA HEIGHTS AND CAPE COLONY. Marked on one of the medals is Private J. McKenzie 9584 KRRC (Kings royal rifle corps) and the companion medal is Cpl. J MacKenzie 9584 KRRC.
Obviously they are both the same person but I can not find any information about the person named. If anyone could help with information or tell me where to look I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Laurie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unable to trace Meda recipient. 8 years 7 months ago #43027

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Hello

Medal rolls on Ancestry.com and service papers on FindmyPast.co.uk.

He will be on a medal roll, but the Ancestry index can be hard to work.

Service papers may not have survived.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barmas69

Unable to trace Meda recipient. 8 years 7 months ago #43049

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Medal roll is in WO100 at Kew with almost all, though, certainly not all, available on line, these particular examples are very clearly verified in WO100/196 for the QSA and original first four clasps, on page 293, with the supplementary roll in the same volume verifying the Orange Free State clasp on page 360, the KSA and clasps, verified in WO100/339 page 291.
He had held the appointment of Lance Corporal at some point as shown on one entry with "Rfm" (Rifleman) given on the other two entries and appears to have also seen service with their fourth battalion too, as well as the their third, from whose rolls they were issued.
I had a very brief look at the available folio regarding papers but did not see any.
A very good pair of medals, the Natal Campaign was intense!

Barmas69 wrote: Hi. I have just joined your forum as I have acquired an interest in Boer war weapons and militaria. I have recently obtained two Boer war medals, one of the medals has the following bars attached:- ORANGE FREE STATE, TRANSVALL, RELIEF OF LADYSMITH, TUGELA HEIGHTS AND CAPE COLONY. Marked on one of the medals is Private J. McKenzie 9584 KRRC (Kings royal rifle corps) and the companion medal is Cpl. J MacKenzie 9584 KRRC.
Obviously they are both the same person but I can not find any information about the person named. If anyone could help with information or tell me where to look I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Laurie

The following user(s) said Thank You: Barmas69

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.780 seconds