Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Imperial Yeomanry Hospital, Deelfontein 8 years 1 week ago #46231

• MRHgreatniece
  • MRHgreatniece's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Is there any one interested in the Imperial Yeomanry Hospital at Deelfontein?
My great uncle was a surgeon there for about 9 months. Dr. John B. Christopherson
He may have had some trouble there, it is a rumour only. It seems odd he left before a year.

Lt. Col. Arthur Sloggett was OC at the hospital. Anyone know where his private papers might be? I've already spent 8 years looking!

Also Lord Strathconer's Horse Regiment from Canada. I'm looking for the medal (s) of M.R. Harris #145 I think.
They were sold once. Actually they were left to my son but never arrived. I do have proof of this but would be pleased to buy them back in to the family.

thanks
MRHgreatniece.
Oh I haven't found out how to use this site very well yet, I couldn't add to my profile. It can't be that difficult!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Imperial Yeomanry Hospital, Deelfontein 8 years 1 week ago #46232

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 350
Yes a more than passing interest.There is a Photograph Album of the Hospital at Deelfontein in the Imperial War Museum. I have the rolls on the hard drive. He is on the roll. No comment other than a Cape Colony Clasp and medal issued 8/8/03. My interest --
angloboerwar.com/forum/19-ephemera/8991-...gent-in-the-boer-war
and desperate for any information regarding the composition.
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

Imperial Yeomanry Hospital, Deelfontein 8 years 1 week ago #46233

• MRHgreatniece
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I think I'm just learning how to reply etc so bear with me!

Re photos, may I suggest you check out the U of Durham Sudan archive. Here's why.
I wrote a book about Dr. J. B. Christopherson, my great uncle (another Gt uncle) and although most of it was medical and referred to his work in Sudan, it also referred to his time in S.A. so in order to keep all his photos letters etc together, THAT archive agreed to house his many photos of the IYH. Please take a look and get back to me. I have a whole binder of these photos here in Toronto too!

Imperial Yeomanry Hospital, Deelfontein 8 years 1 week ago #46237

• Peter Jordi
  • Thank you received: 41
Hi

The reference to the IY Hospital at Deelfontein caught my eye and I hope I can help a little, as well as receive a little help myself.

The report on The Imperial Yeomanry Hospitals in South Africa 1900-1902 edited by The Countess Howe makes just a few references, as far as I can see looking quickly, to J B Christopherson. The report of Lieutenant-Colonel A T Sloggett which appears at page 72 - 93 of the first volume makes no mention of him, but a reading of the report suggests no adverse inference can be drawn from this. Christopherson is listed as a medical officer of the hospital on page 142. He is referred to in the third volume at page 47 where notes of the surgical division of the hospital at Deelfontein are set out giving an interesting and detailed insight into the kind of work he must have been engaged in. Given the exposure to enteric it would have been a dangerous assignment.

I am trying to find out more about G H Avery, who was one of the 12 volunteers who formed the second contingent of the National Fire Brigades' Union Ambulance Department. Avery served at the IY Hospital, Deelfontein and received the QSA and NFBU Medal for SA. I am hoping that someone could provide me with a photograph of him. I have prepared a roll of the members of the National Fire Brigades' Union Contingent to South Africa (summarising what I can find out about each one of them) and I'd be happy to furnish it to anyone who would like a copy. I am aware of Beighton's article on the NFBU Ambulance Division in the Anglo-Boer War in the OMRS Journal of 2003, as well as his equally informative article on the St John Ambulance Brigade bronze medal in the Journal of 2003.If anyone has access to the NFBU Annual Report 1901 I believe there may be a photograph of Avery in it.

Best regards

Peter

Imperial Yeomanry Hospital, Deelfontein 8 years 1 week ago #46239

• MRHgreatniece
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks, yes I read these volumes you wrote of, some years ago in the U of Cambridge Library I think.
I am aware of Countess HOwe and the Curzons re this hospital. Still I love to find Sloggett's papers even though it's too late for the book.
Actually through knowing the old Sloggett Cornish name, TResloggett, and Google, I think I located his grandson, but although I wrote a pleasant snail mail letter, leaving my email and tel. no. etc, I have had no reply. This man could have looked me up as OK via the academic book I published. However, maybe he's away or something. I find it a bit disappointing. However you never know.
Did you try the Sudan archive at Durham?
Ann

Imperial Yeomanry Hospital, Deelfontein 7 years 11 months ago #46526

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Here are also a link to an article of Steve Watts:

samilitaryhistory.org/vol074sa.html
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.431 seconds