TOPIC:

Greetings! ( KRRC Anglo Boer War content ) 7 years 9 months ago #47552

• Old Holborn
  • Old Holborn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Cheers all,

I am hoping the members here can assist me in furthering my knowledge of the Anglo Boer War period and my Great Grandfathers Service Records also. I have been a long time collector and shooter of WW1 and WW2 Military rifles and their associated equipment - research into family history and genealogy has been a long time obsession into the bargain. I have just discovered the Service Record of my Great Grandfather who joined the Kings Royal Rifle Corps in 1899 at the age of 18 and was not discharged until May 1915. His attestation states that he was a member of the 7th Bn K.R.R.C and served in South Africa from 28.5.1900 - 21.3. 1903 ... The Silver War Badge Roll states that he was a Rifleman and his record further states he underwent training as Mounted Infantry. I am trying to find information on the 7th Bn but during this period I only seem to see mention of Bn's 1-4? He also served with the K.R.R.C in Bermuda and France.

I would also like to make sense of the medals and clasps mentioned on his Pension record ... For clasps it states

South Africa - '00-02' Clasps 'Transvaal' - 'O.F.State' - 'Cape Colony'
Kings 1a Medal Clasps - '1901 & 1902'

There is plenty more information but if anyone can help with information about the 7th Bn and any of the above information that would be greatly appreciated. He joined up in Barnet, Hertfordshire.

Best, OH.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Greetings! ( KRRC Anglo Boer War content ) 7 years 9 months ago #47554

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1884
Good Morning HO......

Here is a list of the members of the 7th Company of Mounted Infantry........

7th Mounted Infantry Company

Norfolk Regiment
Lincolnshire Regiment
Scottish Borderers
King's Royal Rifle Corps

With regards to the medal......

Queen's South Africa Medal - Clasps in proper order - Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal
King's South Africa Medal - Clasps - South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902

These are the most common of the BW clasps......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Greetings! ( KRRC Anglo Boer War content ) 7 years 9 months ago #47555

• Old Holborn
  • Old Holborn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Cheers Mike,

Thank you very much for the clarification of details ...

I read that the O.F State (Orange Free State) clasp was scarce and rare for Imperial/Colonial issue? I am not a collector of medals so my knowledge here is nil.

Could you assist in making sense of the following response to the list you provided elsewhere in regard to the 7th?

"One slight error in the MI list. The 7th Mounted Infantry comprised of units in one brigade of the 7th Division. Thus the Hampshire Regt provided a company and not the KRRC.
Joe West"

Thanks again, OH.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.352 seconds