• Page:

TOPIC:

Sgt. T. McGlouhlin 7 years 2 weeks ago #52559

• kecurroj
  • kecurroj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am looking for information on a Sgt. T. McGlouhlin that received the Queens S.A. medal. It is number 706 and this is the inscription on the edge.

"No. 706 Sgt. T. McGloughlin Antrim R.G.A."

I believe RGA stands for Royal Garrison Artillery and Antrim is a town in Ireland.

There are two bars on the ribbon, Cape Colony and Relief of Ladysmith.

There are other items in the display frame. A Kimberley Star, Sgt. Stripes and a Connaught Rangers badge. There is also a life saving medal.

Any information about this individual or the items is appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sgt. T. McGlouhlin 7 years 2 weeks ago #52560

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Kecurroj
Welcome to the forum. Your Sgt. T. McGlouhlin was awarded the clasp "Cape Colony" on his QSA medal (roll page 124 on WO100/140) and the remarks column states that he was "invalided to H.E." (home Establishment" and no date given. There is no entry for him in the Casualty lists.
Others on this site may be able to access more biographical detail from the Commercial sites.
It was not possible to be awarded the clasp "Relief of Ladysmith" along with the clasp "Cape Colony" (except by mistake!). One of the other medals you have illustrated is the Kimberley Star; does it have any details on the reverse? The other is a minature of the Royal Humane Society medal.
Good luck with your research
IL.

Sgt. T. McGlouhlin 7 years 2 weeks ago #52561

• kecurroj
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for your reply. I do not own this set, but am interested in possibly acquiring it, but need to do some research before considering the purchase. All the pictures I posted are in a sealed glass picture frame, so I cannot access the back of the Kimberley Star. What would be on the back of the medal that would be of interest? Would it be named?

What do you know about the Connaught Rangers badge? I looked all over the net and could not find a picture of it anywhere. Also, do the Sgt. stripes go along with the era of the medals?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is not my normal area of military interest.

Thanks!

Sgt. T. McGlouhlin 7 years 2 weeks ago #52562

• LinneyI
Kecurroj
It is possible that the K-star might have some details of the recipient on it's reverse. Also, the K-star (if it is a real one and not a replica) will have a Birmingham hall mark on the reverse. I regret that I cannot comment on the badge or the stripes. However, I am pretty sure that others more knowledgeable than I will be able to contribute on those aspects.
Regards
IL.

Sgt. T. McGlouhlin 7 years 2 weeks ago #52563

• kecurroj
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Could you please give me a ball park value on the three medals based on what you know and if the K Star is correct?

Thank you

Sgt. T. McGlouhlin 7 years 2 weeks ago #52567

• LinneyI
Kecurro
No, I can't. Any such value is very subjective. I would suggest you consult the latest edition of the Medals Year Book for a value.
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds