• Page:

TOPIC:

British soldiers who married South African Women 7 years 3 days ago #52756

• Kayhat
  • Kayhat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am trying to find out who my mother-in-law actually was. I know she claimed her father was a George Geddes Greenfield who was stationed in Bloemfontein during the 2nd Boer War. I have found a christening certificate for her listing George and one Anna Gertrude Maria as the parents. She was christened at St. Margaret's Anglican church in Bloemfontein. Does anybody have any idea where where I can search for records showing that George G Greenfield got married while he was stationed in Bloemfontein? I really would appreciate any help. Thanks, Kay Hattingh. Calgary Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

British soldiers who married South African Women 7 years 3 days ago #52757

• Br178
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • John C Greenfield
My Father was Bernard Cyril Greenfield who was in WW1 & 2, he was from Ulceby Lincolnshire, his father was named John, would there any connection with him
I am the Service Officer of the Royal canadian Legion Br178 Bowmanville, Ontario. My interest in the Boer War has always been the history of it, and I help other people find info on their relatives.John Greenfield

British soldiers who married South African Women 7 years 3 days ago #52758

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Hello Kay

George Geddes Greenfield was a Sail and Rope maker employed by the Army Service Corps in Bloemfontein which is where he purchased his discharge in 1906. I have found a complete set of his military file which I can send you if you provide your e-mail address. It makes for very interesting reading especially his medical condition in 1904 before the baptism you referred to took place....

There is no link to a marriage but it is indisputably the man you are looking for.

He later reported for service in WWI (1914) but after 6 days was discharged as being unsuitable for a soldier.

He married that same year on 23rd April 1914 in Blackburn a Maud Lillian Tombs which suggests to me that he either never married your relative or divorced her or she died before 1914.

Regards

Rory

British soldiers who married South African Women 7 years 3 days ago #52759

• Kayhat
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Rory,

Thanks so much for your reply. I think you are confirming my thoughts about there never having been a wedding. My sister-in-law has told me the weirdest story about how George Geddes was ordered by his family to go back to the UK and not to take his "wife" and child with him. Sounds totally bizarre to me that is why I have been trying to confirm that he was actually married not just enjoying a bit of hanky panky while he was in SA. I would be thrilled if you could send me copies of his files. Please let me know if there are any costs involved so I can pay my debts. My e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks again,

Kay

British soldiers who married South African Women 7 years 3 days ago #52760

• Kayhat
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks so much for your offer of help. I don't think your family is related to George Geddes. Another member of this site has sent me a reply and I think the info he has will solve my problem. Thanks again for offering some help. Kay Hattingh

British soldiers who married South African Women 7 years 3 days ago #52762

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
No costs Kay and I'll sen the papers later today

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds