• Page:

TOPIC:

Getting Started with my search 7 years 3 weeks ago #52853

• LorraineJohnston
  • LorraineJohnston's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have just sorted through my grandfather's old coin box and found a medal which on inspection is a Queen's South Africa Medal from 1899-1902. Inscribed on the rim is the no. 5215 and the details Pte W Stokes Worcester Regt. I am really keen to find out a bit more about him as I think it was my grandfather's uncle. However, I cannot seem to find anything that matches. 5215 brings up lots of names, but not his. W Stokes brings up a gentleman with a different no. 6874. Could this be him? I am absolutely delighted to find this little piece of history but it would be great to be able to contextualise it. Lorraine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Getting Started with my search 7 years 3 weeks ago #52856

• Aud
  • Thank you received: 16
Hello Lorraine
I have a list of men who died during the Boer War and there is a record of a Pte W Stokes of the Worcestershire Regiment who died of disease in Heilbron on 29 October 1901. This man is the one with the number 6874. He is buried in Heilbron Town Cemetery.
He is the only W Stokes I could find on Ancestry.com who was in the Worcestershire Regiment. As you probably know, the QSA roll says this man served in the Vol. Service Company Btn, Worcestershire Regiment and confirms his death on 29 Oct 1901.
It doesn't seem likely there would be two men with the same surname and initials in the same regiment??
There is also a man with the name AG Stokes who is recorded have having died on 24 April 1902 and who is also buried in Heilbron Town Cemetery.
Also an AJ Stokes in the Worcestershire Regiment who died in Jagersfontein in 1900.

Do you know when your grandfather died?
What was his first name?
What was your grandmother's name? Did she die in South Africa?
Usually, if a person died in South Africa, there is a deceased estate file for them which would give some family information.

I hope the above is of some help.
Do not hesitate to contact me if I can help further.
Audrey (Portman, Mrs)
[email protected]
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.375 seconds