• Page:

TOPIC:

Introduction and QSA medals query 6 years 8 months ago #54903

• chebba
  • chebba's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello. I wasn't sure whether to post this under the genealogy heading or medals section, but as the latter is a particular interest I'm opting for that! The site advises an introductory profile, too. I am excitedly researching my late father's birth family, who I finally identified a few weeks ago as coming from Wales - a surprise indeed. I am heavily into genealogy and have had a huge amount of success in many areas, including hooking up with 'cousins' in the USA who are overjoyed to have me over here, something of a 'dog with a bone'!. The story is growing exponentially, a mixture of recorded information and the putting together of smaller details in order to build more of the human story. However, there are a few gaps which I need to nail and this excellent site, which has already been a marvellous asset, is hopefully going to help me. So, here goes....

My Great Grandfather was Francis Morris, born 1871 in Llansantffraid but who lived in Ruabon where, according to the censuses, he worked in the mines. The Census complied 31st March 1901 indicates he was a Private in the 88th Welsh Imperial Yeomanry but, according to a newspaper report in the Llangollen Advertiser dated 5th April 1901 he was a Lance Corporal, married with 6 children (there was a 7th on the way, actually, and he was only 30!) - and this indeed checks out with my other research. According to that and a letter in The Chester Courant a short while later, from a Private in the 88th, the unit sailed from Southampton on 6th April 1901 on the requisitioned, 4-masted mail steamship SS Norman, making the fastest recorded transit to Cape Town, from where the 88th and 89th then transferred overland to Bulawayo, Rhodesia. According to research, the 88th returned to Southampton on 26th August on the SS Braemar Castle, moving to Aldershot where, according to other research, the unit was disbanded on 2nd September. The men then returned to their homes and loved ones. Tragically, GGF returned to mining where he was killed in an accident at the Wynnstay Mine in April 1903, leaving my G Grandmother with 7 children and an 8th on the way. Frank was only 32 when he died, a cruel irony after surviving the Boer War.

G Grandfather's service number was 30704. I have the medal rolls for 1901 and 1902, and find that in the former, signed at Klerksdorp by Percy Molesworth Sykes (an interesting man) he was now a Sergeant being awarded the 1901 clasp. In the 1902 roll, signed at Welshpool by Major Mytton, who was a Lt when they shipped out to SA, GGF was a Sergeant receiving the Cape Colony and 1902 clasps. Now, I have found a medal for a Private in the 88th and he has the Transvaal clasp too, which prompts me to ask for any information as to why GGF did not receive that one too. Did GGF sit out the Second Contingent operations in the relatively safe area of Bulawayo? Was the 88th split into even smaller units for ops elsewhere?

I and my military history obsessed husband (we are both ex-RAF officers with a combined 53 years service as such) are going to Ruabon and Wrexham in late August, where we have a heavy programme of research activities. Sadly, the archives for the 88th have been transferred from the Royal Welsh Fusiliers Museum at Caernarvon back to Wrexham, where they are not immediately accessible. Our application to the RWF's has been submitted and we await a response as to whether there are photographs and other information which will then be made available for a fee. In the meantime, I would be extremely grateful for any clarification regarding my GGF's Cape Colony, 1901 and 1902 clasps and any other information, no matter how small, which will help me to build this fascinating jigsaw of his life and experiences. The Icing on the cake would be to have sight or copies of any photographs in which he might be present and, of course, to find out where his medal might be. I am planning to purchase a proper copy, as is my American 'cousin', but ooooh, if only we could track down his original medal, that would be precious indeed.

Thank you for wading through my blurb. To have found my blood family is more exciting than I can express and this growing story is compelling. My father would have loved this, he was utterly obsessed by Kitchener too, but his Alzheimers meant he didn't even know he had family letters from his birth mother and siblings until they fell out of a folder my husband was going through 5 months after Pa died.

What a brilliant site this is - a testament to the homily 'a problem shared is a problem halved'.

Thank you in anticipation.

Josephine 01476 585955 07855 660001 [email protected]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds