Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private C Joyce 1st Btn Royal Dublin Fusiliers no. 4242 Killed Colenso 1899 6 years 8 months ago #54951

• Doc-Choc
  • Doc-Choc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,

Private Caddis Joyce is my Great Grandfather and from what I've learnt so far he was in the 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers and was killed in action in Colenso.

Would anyone be kind enough to look up the full entry for me in "In Memoriam" by Steve Watt? I think it's page 226. I'd be interested any details about where he might be buried etc. I have very limited information so far from the casualty register. Sadly there's no entry for him in the Soldiers Effects Records, although there are 14 entries from others in 1st Btn also killed on that day,

I'm also interested in the movements of the 1st Battalion. I'm guessing Caddis joined up at the depot in Naas. From his service number, I estimate this would have been around 1891. What I know is in 1899 he must have been stationed in Aldershot as my Grandfather, Dennis Caddis Joyce was conceived there, in that year. Sadly Caddis was killed before Dennis was born in April 1900.

Is it possible they'll be some info at the national archives? I've seen they have some payment and muster records for Naas 1890 to 1900....

Thanks and kind regards,

Mark Joyce.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private C Joyce 1st Btn Royal Dublin Fusiliers no. 4242 Killed Colenso 1899 6 years 8 months ago #54952

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Mark
'In Memoriam' records that Joyce is buried at Ambleside, near Colenso.
Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doc-Choc

Private C Joyce 1st Btn Royal Dublin Fusiliers no. 4242 Killed Colenso 1899 6 years 8 months ago #54956

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Hello Mark

Attached hereto the British Memorial - Ambleside , Colenso

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey, Doc-Choc

Private C Joyce 1st Btn Royal Dublin Fusiliers no. 4242 Killed Colenso 1899 6 years 8 months ago #54966

• Doc-Choc
  • Doc-Choc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you both so much for providing this information. It's simply amazing to be able to see the memorial stone and the know the exact location of the cemetery. It is very moving to see the cemetery is at the exact location of the battlefield.

I've contacted the GRO Ireland to see if the death and birth certificates can be found for Caddis.

I also had some amazing help from Historic Aldershot Facebook group members who were able to provide pictures of Ramillies Barracks where the Royal Dublin Fusiliers were based in 1899 before being sent to the cape. It's likely my Great Grandfather is in attached picture.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.505 seconds