TOPIC:

New Member Intro 6 years 7 months ago #55379

• Chef_Hendrix
  • Chef_Hendrix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good morning all,

I came across this site whilst researching my family tree after discovering my GGG Uncle served with the 12th and 16th Lancers.

I managed to discover his Attestation form online which holds a fair bit of detail as you probably know inc. name of recruiting and medical officer and brief service history. And with help from this website his entry on the KSA and QSA medal rolls, so thank you for that.

George Benton B.1877 in Lincolnshire, joined up aged 18yrs 1mth on 30th Sep 1895 wishing to join the "Corps of Lancers of the Line" and was given service number 3910.

Home 31/9/95-21/10/99
S.Africa 22/10/99-02/06/03
Home 03/06/03-29/09/07

He transferred to the 16th Lancers on the 21/09/02 and was given service number 4782 and then to Army Reserves in 03/06/03

I would love to find out any more info i could on his whereabouts during and after his service and on the two units he served in.

Thanks for reading

Gaz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Member Intro 6 years 7 months ago #55380

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Gaz
Welcome to the site. I had a look on my CD of cavalry names and I saw that "3910 Pte. G.Benton" served with the 12th Lancers and his QSA bore the clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill and Belfast. From what you say, I gather that GGGU was also awarded the KSA. Pte G.Benton of 12L does not appear in the casualty lists. Other members with access to the commercial sites may be able to assist with more information. If you wish to read about the battles your GGGU was present at, you might care to go to the "publications" page of this site and search up Stirling's "Our Regiments in South Africa".
Good luck with your research.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chef_Hendrix

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.837 seconds