Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A Kimberley Hotel back scratcher ?? 6 years 1 month ago #57836

• mike rowan
  • mike rowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 88
On a recent trip to Cape Town I bought this rather odd item. It is made of wood and measures 330mm. On one side it boasts , "Transvaal Hotel, Kimberley. A Peterson, Proprietor - the largest hotel and stabling accommodation in South Africa " On the other side it has a calendar for 1887. It has a black handle and the tip furthest from handle has seen lots of wear.
So what is it ? My best guess is a back scratcher and maybe the proximity of human and animal guests made such an item a necessity. Who knows, it may have belonged to Cecil Rhodes ( or maybe not !)
What do you think ?
Regards
Mike

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Kimberley Hotel back scratcher ?? 6 years 1 month ago #57843

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
Hi Mike, My grandfather had a similar item on his desk in his office. Not sure that it is a back scratcher. I never saw him use it but I always thought it was for cutting sheets of paper a bit like a letter opener. My other initial thought is that it was used to iron pleats in the laundry. I don't think it would be much use in getting to that pesky little flea.
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

A Kimberley Hotel back scratcher ?? 6 years 1 month ago #57848

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
I'm thinking along the lines of a sado-masochistic tool employed by madams in the various bordello's and fleshpots of Kimberley to bring their errant clients to heel in a most decidedly uncultured manner.

A paddle across the gluteus maximus of the offender would ensure the required level of submission.

Rory

A Kimberley Hotel back scratcher ?? 6 years 1 month ago #57850

• David Grant
Strop Rory strop.

Your Catholic education is so deficient. You need real Irish Christian Brothers not the lot from CBC Kimberley for a life time of passion. Leather not wood. Please Rory
Attachments:

A Kimberley Hotel back scratcher ?? 6 years 1 month ago #57851

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
I had to reread your post David - I thought you were saying Stop Rory Stop as opposed to Strop Rory Strop...:)

My question is what is Mr Rowan going to do with this instrument of pleasure? Hang it up in the hallway? It would make a great conversation piece.

A Kimberley Hotel back scratcher ?? 6 years 4 weeks ago #58058

• David Grant
You can imagine my relief when I spotted lot 166 to be sold at auction in the rooms of Messrs Warwick & Warwick on the Feast of St Apollonius the Apologist.

The image of Grandma applying Rory's "instrument of pleasure" to Grandpa's gluteus maximus whilst he lent over his desk writing out his sermons has, for the past fortnight, been far too distressing. Mike's "rather odd item" it seems is a paper knife with the useful addition of a calendar for 1887 and as such had an innocuous position on Grandpa's desk.

Rory's "instrument of pleasure" is a strop with which I have had some intimate knowledge having had it applied with some frequency in my youth with painful but somewhat pleasingly colourful results.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.123 seconds