• Page:

TOPIC:

Cape Police 6 years 1 week ago #58286

• Jackettquest
  • Jackettquest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello. I do hope I'm doing this in the right way - and am very grateful for the opportunity to ask for help. My Great Uncle Edward (Johnny) Jackett enlisted for the Boer War, I thought in 1900, but looks to be 1901, but was subsequently 'bought out' by his mother after about a year. I'd love to find out a bit more about where he went and what he did - but all I've found so far is a record that said Jackett Edward 1014 Attested May 1901 Source CMP 24 and also this:
Edward John Jackett
Service number 1402
Rank Trooper
Regiment II District Cape Police
Rolls WO100/240 page 261
Notes The Queen's South Africa (QSA) Medal Clasps: Cape Colony
Country Great Britain
Record set Anglo-Boer War records 1899-1902
I'd be very grateful for a steer as to how I might find out more about his time there. For example, where he was deployed, and whether he'd have been on horseback, bicycle or foot, for example. Also I'd love to know how lads like him would have enlisted, what they were paid, what his tenure would have been, and how his mother would have 'bought him out'. Family legend has it that he was hospitalised at some point, but there are also mentions of his playing football for De Beers Club, and winning the championship cycle race ‘De Beers Consolidated Mines Ltd Amateur Athletic Sports, Christmas 1901'. I can't quite see how the two can tally! In short, any steers in any direction would be much appreciated. Thanks in hope!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cape Police 6 years 1 week ago #58287

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Hi There,

I have the following info for you, I hope that it is of some use.

Edward John Jackett (known as John or Jonny) attested into the CP aged 22 years, born on the 4th July 1879 in Falmouth, England. His parents were Mr T. and Mrs E. Jackett and they lived at 3 Green Bank Terrace, Falmouth. (at least that what it looks like !!)

He was an Artists Model by Trade.

Jackett signed his Articles of Agreement for the Cape Police on the 10th day of May 1901 at 98-100 Victoria Street in the City of Westminster with the local recruiting agent William Burnet.
This all after he underwent a medical in Falmouth on the 18th April 1901. He was recruited at 7/ per diem. The Cape Police recruited many men from the UK and Australia etc via their recruiting agents.

He attested into CP 2 which was based in Kimberley and he was, it seems, in the mounted branch. He obviously missed the siege which finished approx 15 months earlier.

I was in the Archives today but will try and locate his discharge date next time I am in.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley, Jackettquest

Cape Police 6 years 1 week ago #58288

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2303

capepolice wrote: He was recruited at 7/ per diem. The Cape Police recruited many men from the UK and Australia etc via their recruiting agents.

7/- a day was a good rate. Was the Cape Police more elite than the South African Constabulary?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley, Jackettquest

Cape Police 6 years 1 week ago #58289

• Jackettquest
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Really exciting to get a reply - and I do thank you!

Cape Police 6 years 1 week ago #58290

• Jackettquest
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
That's really very very kind of you! It's definitely him as I know Thomas Jackett the Boatbuilder was his father. Anything else that comes up, I'd be hugely grateful!

Cape Police 6 years 1 week ago #58291

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Hi Berenice,

Perhaps they were !!!

Attached is the pay rate page from Jacketts pages.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackettquest

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.573 seconds