• Page:

TOPIC:

Fredrick James Holgate 5 years 10 months ago #58959

• lyndall1961
  • lyndall1961's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Evening , Firstly i just want to say thankyou for letting me become a member. I am looking for information on a relative of mine who was in the Boer War then came to Australia and joined the military here . on his enlistment papers for Australia it said that he was in the Stienaeckers horse filed intellegence dept transvaal ,can anyone give me any information about this or point me in the right direction on where to get this information and also was there any records kept that i could look at.
Thanks in advance Lyndall australia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fredrick James Holgate 5 years 10 months ago #58964

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Lyndall
Firstly, welcome to the site. I had a look in the book "Steinaecker's Horsemen" by William Woolmore and I saw no entry for a Frederick James Holgate. There are four Holgates in his appendix 1; Edward, George Jnr., George Senior and Joseph Benjamin. Of the four, only 1059 Tpr. George Holgate Jnr. had an association with the Intelligence Dept. I also had a trawl through the book on the Field Intelligence Dept and could see no entry for any Holgate.
Are you certain of his forename and surname?
Regards
IL.

Fredrick James Holgate 5 years 10 months ago #58979

• lyndall1961
  • lyndall1961's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Evening
Thanks for that the family had said that Fredrick was in the Boer war he was only very young, on his Australian Imperial Force papers he has written that he was in Steinaeckers horse as field intelegence dept Transvaal .( I don not know why he came out to Australia for )
George snr and jr im assuming were his father and older brother .
i have a piece of information from Trove 1916 as follows
Mr.George Holgate ,of Barberton,transvaal.south Africa (who has been on a local newspaper staff for the past four years),has relinquished the printing trade,and taken a five yer lease of a local lucerne farm.-Mr Holgate ,who fought three years in the Boer war,he had his leg shattered by a Mauser bullet comes from a fighting family.His father and two brothers also fought in the Boer war,and the latter are now tith Generall Smuts' army in German East Africa.
His grandmother had the honour of being the first to hoist the Union Jack in Natal SA.
As im only just starting to research this part of the family i am only putting bits and pieces together, any help would be great and i appreciate you answering my first post THANKYOU.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds