• Page:

TOPIC:

Thomas Kerr-Bell 5 years 9 months ago #59525

• San
  • San's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am new to this most interesting site. Thank you.
Seeking information about my wife’s grandfather, a civil surgeon from Scotland who came out to the Boer War. Educated at Glasgow University we have no photograph at all of him. He died in Queenstown, Easrern Cape in 1933. He was the mayor of Lady Frere in the Eastern Cape.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thomas Kerr-Bell 5 years 9 months ago #59526

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2141
I'm sure you got this from Google...?

Death
BELL.- Died at Roberston Nursing Home, on the 2nd November, 1933, Thomas Kerr BELL, of Lady Frere. Age 70 years.

Obituary
Dr. Kerr BELL.
In a private nursing home in Queenstown, Dr. Kerr BELL, the present Mayor of Lady Frere, passed away about 7 o’clock yesterday evening, at the age of 70 years. Dr. Kerr BELL has been in Queenstown District for a number of years, and during the period of the Great War was practicing in the Whittlesea area. Later he became District Surgeon of Lady Frere, where he has taken a keen interest in public live. The deceased has long been a sufferer from diabetes, but it was only about the middle of last month that he felt it necessary to go to the nursing home for special rest and treatment. Despite the best attention, however, he passed away as stated last night.
The sympathy of all his friend will go out to his relatives in their sad bereavement.

But, in addition, he seems to have been a colourful character if the files in the SA Archives are anything to go by. There were quite a few opposed actions along with a divorce from his wife Jane.

To keep things military here is the medal roll off which his QSA was issued - he is second from the bottom

Regards

Rory
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: San

Thomas Kerr-Bell 5 years 9 months ago #59533

• San
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you. Much appreciated. Do not worry about straying off the military! We knew about divorce attempts but uncertain whether there was actually a divorce in the end. Any information welcome.
I think two of his sisters came out to the Boer War to serve as nurses?
Thanks again.

Thomas Kerr-Bell 5 years 7 months ago #60312

• boerwarnurses
  • Thank you received: 7
I have one Locally Employed nurse at Maritzburg in my database. She is on WO 100/229 QSA Medal Roll p113 created at No14 Stationary Hospital, Maritzburg; dated January 28, 1902. I only have an initial I. There is another Bell locally employed initials SJ, see WO 100/229 QSA Medal Roll p53 created at No7 General Hospital, Pretoria; dated August 7, 1901 who was sent home because of ill health.

Locally employed in the nursing context meant nurses who came out to SA and offered their services. You can see these two nurses on my database: boerwarnurses.com/boer-war-nurses-database/
Researching Nurses in the Boer War 1899-1902

Thomas Kerr-Bell 5 years 7 months ago #60316

• San
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you very much. Jean Bell might be a chance. Much appreciated.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.439 seconds