TOPIC:

Paisley Art Gallery and Museum 5 years 3 months ago #61525

• joel14345
  • joel14345's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Good morning all!

I am the current research assistant of World Cultures and Global Perspectives at Paisley Art Gallery and Museum.
Due to recent findings in our collection, I am here to trawl for information; particularly that on Edward J Ross, Robert and Peter Galbraith and Ina Cowan, all present at the Siege of Mafeking.

Any help would be most welcome as I will certainly be scratching the brains of a lot of you!

All the best,

Joel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Paisley Art Gallery and Museum 5 years 3 months ago #61530

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Welcome Joel.

We will see if we can assist.
Dr David Biggins

Paisley Art Gallery and Museum 5 years 3 months ago #61547

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Joel
There is certain information about the people you name contained in Colin Walker's Mafeking Siege Register.
Edward J. Ross - was in the Town Guard, Section A. Born 1865, Liverpool. Was in Cape Civil Service, During the siege, Ross engaged in sniping from the hotly contested brick pits. .Apparently Ross was something of a hand with photography and assisted in the early stages of the production of Mafeking's bank notes. After the war, Ross published his book of photographs of the siege.
Robert Galbraith - No entry in Walker's Register under that fore-name. There is however, an entry for "34 Sgt. D.R.Galbraith" of the Bechuanaland Rifles QSA clasps Defence of Mafeking and Transvaal.
Peter Galbraith - According to Walker's Register, there was a Cpl. P.T.Galbraith of the Bechuanaland Rifles Not the same person as the above.
Ina Cowan - Miss Ina Cowan was a civilian girl; volunteer nurse. Probably from Kilmaurs, North of Kilmarnock, Scotland. Sister of O/C, of Bechuanaland Rifles, Capt. Bryce Cowan. Later married an Australian and lived there until she died "an early death". Miss Ina Cowan held a diary during the siege Was mentioned many times in Mafeking's Siege Slips.
Joel, there is quite a bit more concerning Ross and Cowan in Colin Walker's Mafeking Siege Register. Colin Walker (or his agent or successors) hold the copyright. You might care to look for a copy of the Siege Register (ISBN 1-905546-20-3) locally.
Good luck with your research.

Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, joel14345

Paisley Art Gallery and Museum 5 years 3 months ago #61556

• joel14345
  • joel14345's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi IL,

You've already provided more information than I have managed to track down! By Robert Galbraith I did indeed mean David Russell Galbraith, his brother is Cpl. P.T (Peter Tenant) as you mentioned. I'll certainly have a look at the Siege Register!

The reason I'm looking at these names in particular is that D.R Galbraith's daughter donated a series of objects to the museum in the 90s, including siege slips, full volume of the Mafeking mail, his shoulder pips, his Queen Vic chocolate box and his medals. More importantly, she donated the Galbraith photo album at Mafeking, Ina Cowan's diary (manuscript copy) and what looks to be an original photo album of Ross (due to un cropped photographs, and previously unseen images not included in his publication). So quite an important collection. With elements of the war coming into the museum in eclectic collections (such as mauser rifles, lee enfields, spent shells etc); this will be a vitally important story to tell when the museum reopens in the next 4 years.

Regarding Ina, whilst I have the photograph of the volunteer nurses (No.111) in Taylor's publication 'Siege views of Mafeking', I cannot identify which one she is. Has she ever been identified in photographs at all?

Thanks again

Joel

Paisley Art Gallery and Museum 5 years 3 months ago #61575

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Joel
Unfortunately, I cannot assist in identifying Miss Ina Cowan. I cracked a wry smile at Edward Ross's entry in Walker's Mafeking Siege Register regarding his sniping from the "brickpits". Apparently, Ross arranged with Maj. Panzera to allow him to undertake this hazardous duty; Maj. Panzera himself took part in that activity. Currently, I am custodian of Maj. Panzera's medal group. You may care to view my post re Major Panzera in Mafeking - entitled "Mafeking Defender".
I have PM'd you.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joel14345

Paisley Art Gallery and Museum 2 years 11 months ago #75675

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Joel,

I am currently working on a book on the siege of Mafeking. Here are the two entries for the Galbraith brother.

Peter Tennant Galbaith. Lieutenant, Bechuanaland Rifles (BeR)
Born in Glasgow, Scotland, 26 February 1870. Resided at 17 Huntley Gardens, Govan c 1881. Hemp merchants' clerk c 1891. Enlisted (Private) Mafeking Rifle Club, 1 November 1896. Enlisted in the BeR Mounted Company (Private), 1 September 1898. Lance Corporal c 1900. Corporal c 1901. Promoted Sergeant and later commissioned. KSA issued 2 July 1909 to his mother, Beaumont, Great Dowanhill, Glasgow. He died in Kilmarnock, Kransfontein, Bethlehem, South Africa, 23 June 1927. He was unmarried and had worked as a farmer. He left most of his estate to his farm manager, George Mitchell, but left to his two nieces the sum of £1,500 each Brother of David Galbraith
His Queen's Medal was sold in South Africa in 1979.

David Russell Galbraith. 34 Sergeant, Bechuanaland Rifles.
Born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1874. Resided at 17 Huntley Gardens, Govan c 1881. Enlisted BeR (Private) and served 1 September 1898 to 25 April 1902. Corporal c 1901. Sergeant c 1901. Transferred to non-effective list 22 April 1902. KSA from BeR issued 27 June 1905. His brother was Peter Galbraith. He had two daughters; Jean Agnes born 12 October 1914 and Mary Croom born 3 September 1918.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.736 seconds