• Page:

TOPIC:

New Member 5 years 1 month ago #62355

• Hudsontwin
  • Hudsontwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi folks, my name is Darryl Hudson and am originally from Durban,South Africa and now living in Glasgow,Scotland. My interest is mainly in the Battle of Talana as my Great Grandfather ,Albert Henry Hudson (pictured) was there with the D.L.I as a bugler. I am also interested in two pre Boer War regiments, the 45th and 75th Regiment of Foot . I look forward to spending loads of my free time on the forums . Thanks for reading this introduction. Darryl
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Member 5 years 1 month ago #62356

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Hi Darryl - Albert Hudson (the Henry wasn't used in the nominal or medal rolls) served as a Bugler Corporal, no.661, with the Durban Light Infantry.

He didn't serve at Talana and should have the clasps Transvaal, Relief of Ladysmith and South Africa 1901 on his medal which I assume you have.

Your interest in the 45th Regiment intrigues me as I and a friend who lives in Kloof have a similar interest in them.

A lovely photo by the way.

Regards

Rory
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hudsontwin

New Member 5 years 1 month ago #62358

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
Hello Darryl,

He enlisted into the DLI in Jan 1899 and was also part of King Edward VII 1902 Coronation Contingent, one of seventeen men from the regiment.
Very nice.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

New Member 5 years 1 month ago #62360

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Welcome Darryl
I am the Kloof resident mentioned by Rory, and I have assembled a great deal of information on the 45th Regiment's deployment to South Africa (1843-1859), especially in regard to its presence in Natal.
Regards
Brett

New Member 5 years 1 month ago #62362

• Hudsontwin
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Adrian, thanks for the info about his enlistment date.! New information for me. He was only 15 at the time and you're correct about being part of the Coronation Contingent. I have a copy of his Obituary notice that confirms this. I've tried to look into this before but with not much luck. Can you please point me in the right direction as i'm keen to find out more. Thanks in advance,Darryl

New Member 5 years 1 month ago #62363

• Hudsontwin
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Brett, thanks for your reply. I'm very keen to find out more about the 45th and would love to learn from your research. My 3rd Great Grandfather, John Coyle (1244) served with the Regiment from October 1837 to August 1850 where he settled in PMB. I know he was a recipient of the 1853 South Africa Medal for service with the Reserve Battalion during the 1846-1847 Frontier Wars. I have a copy of G.R Everson's The South Africa 1853 Medal book that lists all the men from the Regiment.that received the medal..You probably already have this info but if not I'll be happy to share. I'm new to all this so not sure what the protocol is for posting scanned copies of pages from books. Is that allowed?

I didn't realise the Regiment had played such a big part in Natal and in particular Fort Napier an i am intrigued (and honoured ) that he played a small part. He was a shoemaker by trade .Some of his grandsons served in the Boer War too. Kind regards,Darryl

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.574 seconds