TOPIC:

Introduction 4 years 9 months ago #64106

• Peter Ewart
  • Peter Ewart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Many thanks, David!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduction 4 years 9 months ago #64108

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello Peter

I was just looking at a picture of you with myself at a VMS Fair some years ago when I going through some of Dad's pictures I found on a memory stick of his.

Welcome!

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Ewart

Introduction 4 years 9 months ago #64110

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It really is a truly lovely part of England, as a small boy, I enjoyed very many happy holidays around the Carlisle area, the coast from Allenby up to Silloth brings back so many memories from the 1970's, in particular, exploring the remains of the RAF Station at the latter, we used to have a cottage at Cumwhinton which was used at the weekends throughout the year from May to September, I have nothing but fond memories.

, in particular,

Peter Ewart wrote: Yes indeed, Frank. JWE was born at Bassenthwaite & gave his "nearest town or parish of birth" as Cockermouth on attestation at Carlisle in 1891. He was the son of a local policeman who was moved around, so his siblings were all born between Penrith & Workington. A younger brother, drowned in the Derwent only 6 months before JWE enlsited, is indeed buried in Brigham churchyard. Three brothers eventually followed into the police, incl Fergus. JWE returned time-expired from India in '98 but was recalled from the Reserve in Jan 1900. From 1904-12, as a Sgt in the Dunbartonshire Volunteers (& then Territorials) he ran the "signalling dept" which he'd set up, having gone through the ABW as a signaller. He was killed with two other occupants of a car which went under a bus in 1930.

Introduction 4 years 9 months ago #64112

• Peter Ewart
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Well I'm blowed! Hello Meurig, and thank you for the welcome! Yes, I remember our meeting there - and the snap being taken! By coincidence, I was reading several of your late father's emails only the other evening. (Looking for a reference to something I knew we'd discussed). It reminded me how much I still miss our contact, the correspondence having begun some years before & ending so suddenly. His deep knowledge & memory was staggering & the quality & rigour of his research a daunting example to any historian! And my book-buying certainly rocketed during that period!!! His generosity and his encouragement of my researches & reading on so many SA matters meant that I learnt far more from him than he did from me, a ring-binder full of his printed emails still reminding me of the fact. But I was able to swap a great deal of info on obscure civilians, both clergy & lay people, in the most out-of-the-way places in Zululand, Natal & Swaziland, though! Warm hospitality at Shermershill and "the library" were also highlights - indeed, I was to pop in on the way to delivering a talk at Brecon when your sad news came. Good to be in touch again!

Introduction 4 years 9 months ago #64113

• Peter Ewart
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Yes, the Lake District & other parts of Cumbria have long been very enticing - hours of walking and lots of historical research too! The grandchildren of JWE's brother Fergus still live in Keswick.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds