• Page:

TOPIC:

Introduction 4 years 10 months ago #64087

• Peter Ewart
  • Peter Ewart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Am a retired genealogist in Kent, England & my interest in S African history includes several military conflicts as well as 19th century missionary activity, particularly in KZN. ABW family connections include my grandfather, Pte John Walter Ewart (1873-1930) of the 20th & 10th Hussars, who was awarded the DCM when attached to the 6th Inniskillings following an action at Tevreden, nr Chrissiemeer, on 16 Oct 1900. Two younger brothers also served in the conflict - Fergus(on) Villiers Ewart & Charles Ewart, both Coldstream Gds (Belmont, Modder River etc, in Fergus' case).

Also interested in Boer occupation/control of Anglican missions at St Vincent (Isandlwana) & St Augustine's (nr Rorkes Drift) in first 6 months of 1900. Have visited RSA only once, visiting all AZW (1879) sites, as well as Blood River & Majuba.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduction 4 years 10 months ago #64089

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Welcome Peter to the Forum.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Ewart

Introduction 4 years 10 months ago #64095

• Peter Ewart
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Many thanks, Mike. I'm looking forward to contributing and to learning plenty! Been meaning to join for ages!

Introduction 4 years 10 months ago #64096

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Lots of South African connections there, I note the Ewart's hailed from Cockermouth, a very nice part of Cumbria and Brigham, in particular.

Peter Ewart wrote: Am a retired genealogist in Kent, England & my interest in S African history includes several military conflicts as well as 19th century missionary activity, particularly in KZN. ABW family connections include my grandfather, Pte John Walter Ewart (1873-1930) of the 20th & 10th Hussars, who was awarded the DCM when attached to the 6th Inniskillings following an action at Tevreden, nr Chrissiemeer, on 16 Oct 1900. Two younger brothers also served in the conflict - Fergus(on) Villiers Ewart & Charles Ewart, both Coldstream Gds (Belmont, Modder River etc, in Fergus' case).

Also interested in Boer occupation/control of Anglican missions at St Vincent (Isandlwana) & St Augustine's (nr Rorkes Drift) in first 6 months of 1900. Have visited RSA only once, visiting all AZW (1879) sites, as well as Blood River & Majuba.

Introduction 4 years 10 months ago #64097

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4510
Welcome, Pater!
Dr David Biggins

Introduction 4 years 10 months ago #64105

• Peter Ewart
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Yes indeed, Frank. JWE was born at Bassenthwaite & gave his "nearest town or parish of birth" as Cockermouth on attestation at Carlisle in 1891. He was the son of a local policeman who was moved around, so his siblings were all born between Penrith & Workington. A younger brother, drowned in the Derwent only 6 months before JWE enlsited, is indeed buried in Brigham churchyard. Three brothers eventually followed into the police, incl Fergus. JWE returned time-expired from India in '98 but was recalled from the Reserve in Jan 1900. From 1904-12, as a Sgt in the Dunbartonshire Volunteers (& then Territorials) he ran the "signalling dept" which he'd set up, having gone through the ABW as a signaller. He was killed with two other occupants of a car which went under a bus in 1930.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.731 seconds