• Page:

TOPIC:

Rimingtons Guides / Damant Riders 4 years 10 months ago #64448

• M Owen
  • M Owen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I’m doing family research, the reason why I’m here is John Roche. I met him as a small girl,Dads uncle Jack, who was in a Horse Guards regiment. So I was surprised to find him in a South African unit, I found his attestion papers for the Lifeguards 1902 which gave his previous service in Rimington Guides/ Damant Horse. He was only 20 when he signed for the Lifeguards, so what was ta lad from Liverpool doing in Rimington/Damant when I found articles saying they recruited from local men speaking Afrikaans and native languages. I’ve found him in a register ‘R’ page , ( ]couldn’t find it on search), on this site,
Sorry either my brain or iPad is playing up and I can’t post the photos of the documents for you. I’ll have one more go, if it doesn’t work I’ll just post this.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rimingtons Guides / Damant Riders 2 years 11 months ago #76190

• PaulG
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi M Owen

John Roche was my Great Grandad. He was my Grandad Richard Denis Eustace Roche's dad. Richard D E Roche was my mum's dad.

Attached is a picture of John Roche alongside some boxers. John is in the middle in uniform. My mum has this photo in a collection from her dad. Thought it might be interesting to you!

Paul
Attachments:

Rimingtons Guides / Damant Riders 2 years 11 months ago #76198

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
On the supplementary roll for Damant's Horse (WO100/244p105) is listed 35801 Trooper J Roche, earning the clasps SA01 and SA02. His former regiment is given as the 5th Irish Rifles but a note adds 'Cannot verify service in 5th Irish Rifles here. Service in Damant's Horse 29 July 1901 to 31 January 1902'. These dates are confirmed in the nominal roll.

It looks like this man was issued a medal off the Damant's Horse roll (WO100/244p57) with claps CC OFS and Tr in 1904. The 5th Irish are also mentioned on the QSA roll.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulG

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.402 seconds