Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the City Imperial Volunteers 4 years 8 months ago #64662

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
David
There certainly was a vast amount of ink and the engraver's time expended on the CIVs. However, those still in the field had what could be termed a slightly more jaundiced view of the feting lavished on the CIV.
In the book "A Yeoman's Letter" by Trooper Ross may be found a rather amusing parody of a section of the popular song "The Absent Minded Beggar".
The parody goes ……
When you've said "the war is over" and "the end is now in sight"
and you've welcomed home your valiant CIVs,
there are other absent beggars in the everlasting fight
and not the least of these your Yeomen, please".

"He's a casual sort of johnnie and his casualties are great
and on the veldt and kopjes you will find him.
For, he's still on active service, eating things without a plate
and thinking of the things he left behind him".

(Ross thoughtfully spares us the chorus)

Ross further enlightens us as follows- "To be brief, the British army feels aggrieved at the praise bestowed on the C.I.V. regiment, and its early return to England. To hear a discussion on our poor, unoffending and former comrades is to have a sad exhibition of envy, hatred, malice and uncharitableness".

Always good to see the other side of the coin!
Best regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the City Imperial Volunteers 4 years 8 months ago #64695

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
The Earl of Albemarle, Commanding the Infantry, CIV (left) and Colonel Stacpole, Embarkation Officer, photographed on the return of the CIV to Southampton.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the City Imperial Volunteers 4 years 8 months ago #64696

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
'For Queen and Country: The Soldiers of the Great City

Members of the City Imperial Volunteers about to leave for South Africa after receiving the Freedom of the City of London at the Guildhall, 12 January 1900'

(the picture is distorted as it is a double page spread in a bound volume)

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the City Imperial Volunteers 4 years 8 months ago #64697

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
'For Queen and Country: The Soldiers of the Great City

City Imperial Volunteers in action during the Boer War 1900'

(the picture is distorted as it is a double page spread in a bound volume)

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the City Imperial Volunteers 4 years 8 months ago #64699

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
'The Cunard RMS Aurania which has brought the CIV Home

The Cunard liner Aurania with the City Imperial Volunteers on board touch at St Vincent on the way home and left there on the 19th inst. She was due at Southampton yesterday afternoon and the CIVs are expected in London about one o'clock to-day (Saturday)'.

The Graphic 27 October 1900
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the City Imperial Volunteers 4 years 8 months ago #64850

• Grandrew2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 10
Naming on CIV Medals
Do any members have any named examples of the CIV Tribute medal please? I am anxious to compare with the naming on my CIV Tribute medal which I obtained by auction as lot 201 of the Buckland Dix & Wood Sale on 30th June 1994:-
"201 City of London Imperial Volunteers, Tribute Medal , bronze , inscribed on the rim (Sir William Grantham , Inner Temple) contained in its original gilt-embossed leather case of issue , nearly extremely fine and scarce"

I know from Guildhall records that the sculptor George Frampton as well as being paid for the medals was also paid to engrave some not all as follows
25 Nov 1901 Payment to G Frampton , ARA , for additional CIV medals , lettering and cases, viz : 100 Medals £33.6.8d
Engraving 76 (1801 letters) £7.10.1d
100 cases , @ 4/- each £20
Total £60.16.9d
20 May 1902 "To Harrod's Stores , Ltd ., in respect of framing specially CIV medals , with engraved descriptive plate , delivered to the Guildhall £2. 6. 4d
Also engraving 32 bronze plaque medals, 918 letters @ 9d per dozen £2 . 17 . 4d
Source - original accounts books of the CIV (manuscript , unpublished) kindly provided to me at the time by Mr J(Jack) V Webb an expert on the CIV. Jack had two named examples and neither were the same as mine. We know from the above that Harrods engraved some of them and their charge was different (and so I surmise was the engraving).
I wrote to Harrods in Jan 1996 but sadly they had no records relating to any transactions or dealings with the CIV even though they acknowledged that Sir Arthur Newton, their Chairman at the time was the Lord Mayor of London responsible for raising the CIV.
And there the trail went cold even though I know there must be at least two types of official naming i.e one by Frampton and one by Harrods. There were also some medals retained for issue later and there may have had a third type of naming.
Whilst of course there is nothing to prevent Sir William Grantham having his own medal privately engraved I am convinced that from his CIV Connections it was probably presented in some official capacity. Which is why I am anxious to compare it with some other named examples
I look forward to hearing from any member who can help

Andrew

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.472 seconds