Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

ATTESTATION FORM 4 years 2 months ago #67561

• findahero
  • findahero's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Please could someone explain the purpose of the Attestation Form and was it completed when you signed up etc ?
I am just trying to get a better understanding of the form, I have found an Attestation Form for my x2 GGF, I am certain it is him but the dates of his age are out by a few years.........his next of kin is correct as well !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ATTESTATION FORM 4 years 2 months ago #67564

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Sharleen,

The attestation paper was a legal contract between the military authorities in and those who chose to join up for a short period of time, usually 3, 6 or 12 months with the option, if need demanded and they were suitable, to re-attest for further service. The Imperial Yeomanry in the UK completed attestation papers and I think the other colonial troops sometimes did too but the bulk of the attestation papers were completed by people in South Africa who joined one or more of the hundreds of units that were created during the war.

Imperial troops in established regiments eg the Royal Artillery, Devonshire Regiment etc did not complete attestation papers. They signed service papers instead.

The attestation paper was completed when people attested for service. The top section contained biographical details and their signature, or an X if they could not write. There was usually a space at the bottom to record information on the date of discharge, character and address details.

Mostly the forms are of a standard design and mostly single sided. There are some examples here: angloboerwar.com/forum/11-research/28903...-african-units#64255 . Some units chose to create their own forms.

From your description, it certainly sounds like you have your GGFs form. I would not worry too much about the age discrepancy. I have been researching men who served at Wepener recently and, as they moved from unit to unit, have had the opportunity to review multiple attestation papers for the same man. Usually, the age is consistently recorded (whether it is accurate I cannot determine) but, in some cases, there can be differences, in one case up to 10 years difference. I would imagine that when signing people up there was not too much focus on the accuracy of all the information recorded. The signature, length of service and pay rate was the important information.

Hope that helps
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: findahero

ATTESTATION FORM 4 years 2 months ago #67568

• findahero
  • findahero's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
David

Thank you so much, I understand better now the purpose of the form.
I have attached an Attestation Form for a James Kearney (I think this my x2 GGF)
The name of his next of kin is correct, just the age discrepancy by 6 yrs, which you have already explained, but the big question I have which I am not able to work out from this form is the following :
His daughter got married on 26 April 1902 in Kimberley, attached to the marriage license was an affidavit stating she is the daughter of the Late James Kearney
of Kimberley..........this is where I am a bit confused, yes he could have died between 25 March 1902 and 26 April 1902, but as the form says he enrolled on 25 March 1902, then how come at the top of the form it states he served in the CGA for 1 yr 8 mths, so in March 1902 what was he enrolling to ????
Sorry, I am just very confused and struggling to put the timeline together to confirm whether this is the correct man.

I am hoping someone can help me understand the information entered on this form ?

Regards
Sharleen
Attachments:

ATTESTATION FORM 4 years 2 months ago #67570

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Sharleen
The attestation form you illustrate shows "James Kearney" as having served some time in the Cape Garrison Artillery. In advance of assistance David will be able to give you, the medal roll for the CGA (WO100/240) shows "861 Gunner J.Kearney" of the CGA as having been entitled to the clasp "Cape Colony" on his QSA medal. There is a marginal note to the effect that he served with the Kimberley LH as 41890 and that is verified on the nominal roll of that unit.
I must admit to not being aware of the "Griqualand West Lt (?) Horse; however he clearly did serve as he was allocated number 37; your illustrated attestation form shows a link to Kearney's service with the KLH.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, findahero

ATTESTATION FORM 4 years 2 months ago #67571

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The Griqualand West Light Horse was raised in 1899, but, it subsequently became part of the Western Light Horse.

LinneyI wrote: Sharleen
The attestation form you illustrate shows "James Kearney" as having served some time in the Cape Garrison Artillery. In advance of assistance David will be able to give you, the medal roll for the CGA (WO100/240) shows "861 Gunner J.Kearney" of the CGA as having been entitled to the clasp "Cape Colony" on his QSA medal. There is a marginal note to the effect that he served with the Kimberley LH as 41890 and that is verified on the nominal roll of that unit.
I must admit to not being aware of the "Griqualand West Lt (?) Horse; however he clearly did serve as he was allocated number 37; your illustrated attestation form shows a link to Kearney's service with the KLH.
Regards
IL.

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

ATTESTATION FORM 4 years 2 months ago #67572

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Sharleen,

The nominal roll for the Kimberley units (which is available on this site) shows that he served in the KLH between 25 March and 30 June 1902.

The unit was disbanded on 30 June 1902.

His CGA service dates are given as 19 March 1900 to 4 November 1901 which accords with the 20 months figure on his attestation paper.

This does not align with the affidavit. If the NOK details are correct, is this a relation perhaps?
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: findahero

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.504 seconds