TOPIC:

9 Company Army Service Corps 4 years 2 months ago #67643

• Mikeselcon
  • Mikeselcon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
I wonder whether anyone can give me any information on 9 Company ASC during the Boer War? I believe they were based in the Cape Colony, but am trying to find out when they would have deployed, exactly where they were based and their area of operations and when they would have been repatriated to the UK at the end of hostilities.

Thanks in anticipation

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 Company Army Service Corps 4 years 2 months ago #67651

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Mike,

That is tricky to answer. Many men of the 9th Company received the Cape Colony clasp but few other clasps.

Do you have a particular man in mind?
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

9 Company Army Service Corps 4 years 2 months ago #67655

• Mikeselcon
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Yes sergeant John B Wheater

9 Company Army Service Corps 4 years 2 months ago #67657

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Mike
Some time ago, I tried to tie down the locations of some ASC Coys. for my own purposes - and had little success. However, Maurice Vol.1 Appendix 2 does show the 9th Coy., ASC as being under arms in the Cape Peninsula as of 11/10/1899. Which means the Company was essentially in place prior to the outbreak of war. The various appendices in Maurice's Vol. 2 - 4 show no further reference to the ASC 9th Coy; only the very frequent notation of the location of "Detachments ASC".
A quick look in the SAFF Casualty lists reveals that certain members of 9th Coy., ASC were posted as Casualties up to the period commencing 1/Jan 1901. After that date the lists show no break-up of ASC companies. As might be expected, most casualty entries before that date related to disease - with a handful incurred against the enemy. There could be some interesting clasp entitlements amongst them.
If your man, Sgt. J.B.Wheater, earned only the Cape Colony clasp (and possibly one or two date clasps), then it is quite probable that the 9th Coy., ASC acted as a Bulk Breaking Point for inward supplies for the Army. As and when required, members of that Coy. would have been detailed to take convoys up the line to the fighting units.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

9 Company Army Service Corps 4 years 2 months ago #67658

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Mike
Having a few minutes to spare, I had a look on the medal roll for 9th Coy ASC (WO100/213) and your man is there "12877 Sgt. J.B.Wheater" on page 97 with clasp "Cape Colony" and a notation that had me fooled for a bit - but eventually looked like "See 40th Coy., ASC". As I have some limitations in deciphering marginal notes - other Forum members are very much better - I went to the medal roll for 40th Coy., ASC (WO100/214) and there was your man on page 137; clasp "Cape Colony" ticked and another marginal note which indicated he served until 1/7/00.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

9 Company Army Service Corps 4 years 2 months ago #67666

• Mikeselcon
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you so much for all the help. It has answered many questions and hopefully I will be able to answer the remaining questions.

Best regartds

Mike

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds