• Page:

TOPIC:

Mystery carving 1901-02 Ship related 4 years 3 months ago #67689

• JCBF2020
  • JCBF2020's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, I am new to the site, my name is Jeannie. I am a part-volunteer and part researcher at my local museum (McManus, in Dundee). Although the current museum protocols are to accurately record new donations in great detail, historically this hasn't always been the case and there are some artefacts with no supporting information.
I am hoping someone on the website will be able to help with one such artefact.
It is a part of a rib (large animal) with the names of South African ports carved on it on both sides in Africaan language (I think) , plus 'Johannesburg' and 'St Helena'. The date of September 1901-02 is also carved. At some point it's been snapped - maybe in half, but the other part is missing.
I think 'Johannesburg' may be a ship and have found a couple of references for a steamer of that name visiting South Africa. Does anyone think it could be a carving made by Boer ex-prisoners of war on St Helena? - I have read that they were repatriated to their home towns in 1901-2 and presumably some of that effort would have been by ship.
I've attached photos of both sides of the carved rib. Any suggestions or information would be very welcome.
Kind regards, Jeannie
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mystery carving 1901-02 Ship related 4 years 3 months ago #67692

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Helo Jeannie

Please send me an email by [email protected]. I will forward your mail to my colleague, Vicky Heunis. She is the Collection Manager by our museum, the War Museum in Bloemfontein, South Africa and will be able to help you.

Regards

Elmarie
Elmarie Malherbe

Mystery carving 1901-02 Ship related 4 years 3 months ago #67694

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 101
Hello Jeannie

From what I can see this is a Boer POW marking his journey to St Helena.

First Image :Part detail of age of POW ?and where captured Kleinmariko , ZAR (Zuid-Afrikaanse Republiek), KGV ?, Gen Men ? , sent to Elandslaagte

Second Image : Onto (Pietermaritz)Burg, Derbun(Durban), POW would have been shipped to Kaapstad(Cape Town) and sent to Green Point, Then onto Simonstad(Simons Town), either leaving or arriving on the 2 September 1901 St Helena , with his residence being in Johannesburg

Regards

Mystery carving 1901-02 Ship related 4 years 3 months ago #67696

• JCBF2020
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Dear Elmarie, , Many thanks for your reply. I will send you an email with the two images.
Kind regards,
Jeannie

Mystery carving 1901-02 Ship related 4 years 3 months ago #67697

• JCBF2020
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you so much for your reply - how interesting. If it is OK with you I will write what you have said on our record for this artefact. It's intriguing that we have it in our collection, but there were sailors and soldiers on the steamers from Dundee as it used to be a busy port in those days. I expect they were given all sorts of keepsakes.
Kind regards,
Jeannie

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.468 seconds