Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

George McCulloch 4 years 2 months ago #68084

• jim51
  • jim51's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi,

I am researching a Tpr George McCulloch, 2nd Light Horse Regiment A.I.F. He was killed in action in 1917 while serving with the 49th Bn A.I.F.
On his WW1 enlistment papers he claims service in the Scottish Horse during the Boer War. His Roll of Honor Circular that was completed by a relative claims
service in Lanarkshire Yeomanry. The seller of the medals stated that there was no evidence of service with the Scottish Horse.
Was the Lanarkshire Yeomanry known by another name?

Regards,

Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

George McCulloch 4 years 2 months ago #68086

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Jim
The book "Southern Cross Scots" shows no entry for a "G.McCulloch" in either 1st or 2nd Bns. of the Scottish Horse.
There was a Lanarkshire Company of the Imperial Yeomanry; 107th Coy. of the 6th Bn. My IY CD shows several entries for "G.McCulloch" and it will be a matter of checking the rolls to see if one fits in with the 107th Coy., I.Y.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

George McCulloch 4 years 2 months ago #68090

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4511
Jim,

There's a George McCulloch in the Seaforth Highlanders but I cannot find anyone of that name in the Scottish Horse via the medal roll.

There are 4 McCullochs on the ScH nominal roll but no one with initial G: angloboerwar.com/unit-information/south-...ottish-horse?start=1
Dr David Biggins

George McCulloch 4 years 2 months ago #68098

• jim51
  • jim51's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 104
Thanks for the responses Ian & David. The I.Y looks like the most promising at present. There is also the possibility that there is a second Christian name and he served under that in the Boer War.
I take it that the I.Y. Medal rolls are available from the NAA site and it is a matter of scrolling thru until I find the Battalion & Coy I’m looking for.

Cheers,

Jim

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds