• Page:

TOPIC:

1st Volunteer Battalion Manchester Regiment 4 years 3 weeks ago #68506

• tamiwell
  • tamiwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello : ) I'm writing up a biography on an Aussie soldier who immigrated from Wigan c1903. When he signed up for WW1 (in Australia) he stated that he had served with the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the Manchester Regiment for 6 years (I assume prior to 1903). This man was born in 1879. Can anyone with a knowledge of this regiment tell me if he would have served overseas in the Boer War? I'm struggling to find anything of use on the Battalion and I can't find any clear answers. I'd like to get the wording right for his biography and would hate to get a detail like that completely wrong. I'd like to be able to write if he 'likely served overseas' or 'possibly served overseas' or 'wouldn't likely have served overseas' if you know what I mean? He also served for a year with the NZ corps and when he first enlisted in the AIF he was a 'SGD' (Sergeant?) but was demoted to Private for his service in the AIF during WW1. He ended up serving with the 1st Australian Stationary Hospital doing nursing duties and was at Gallipoli for the entirety of the campaign.
Thank you, any help would be very much appreciated as I have no idea who to contact who might be really knowledgeable on this subject! If anyone knows of an expert I can get in touch with I'd really appreciate contact details! Thank you,
Tamara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1st Volunteer Battalion Manchester Regiment 4 years 3 weeks ago #68508

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Tamara
Welcome to the Forum. The Manchesters - along with many other Regiments - had Service Companies of volunteers who served alongside the Regulars in South Africa. It really is highly useful to know the name of your old soldier. Armed with that, it is possible to check the medal rolls on this site. Sometimes queries such as yours do lead nowhere, I am afraid.
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds