Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re Hugh Owen, Trooper 26908 Anglo Boer War 1899-1902 3 years 11 months ago #68678

• Bodola
  • Bodola's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
We have a family story that my grandfather, Hugh Owen of Anglesey left Wales for South Africa to seek his fortune ! Somehow, he served in the Prince of Wales Light Horse Infantry between 12.1.01 and 13.7.01, a fact confirmed by your records.

We believe he was the subject of a court martial for disobeying an order, the subject of which is our story. I would like to be able to substantiate this fact, and the reason given. The records seem to show CS against his name in the discharge column. Help please. Thank you for your website.
Bodola

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re Hugh Owen, Trooper 26908 Anglo Boer War 1899-1902 3 years 11 months ago #68693

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Bodola,

On the medal roll, he has a C against his entry which means his award was 'awaiting investigation'. The medal was later returned to the authorities and not issued to him which means that something unusual happened.

'CS' on the nominal roll means he completed his service in the PoWLH after 6 months so nothing unusual there. I don't have the left page of the PoWLH nominal roll which may provide more information. I will re-photograph that when TNA re-opens its doors. I will come back to you in due course.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re Hugh Owen, Trooper 26908 Anglo Boer War 1899-1902 3 years 11 months ago #68697

• Bodola
  • Bodola's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Many thanks for this additional material and for continuing to research for me.
Bodola

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.428 seconds