• Page:

TOPIC:

Thankyou 3 years 11 months ago #68898

• Stephen303
  • Stephen303's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thankyou for allowing me to join this site, my interested is due to my great-grandfather who was a shoeing smith by the name of Henry Hibberd. I am looking forward to finding more about his life in U battery.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thankyou 3 years 11 months ago #68899

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Stephen
Welcome to the site. I accessed my RA CD for U Battery, RHA and in medal roll WO100/139), two men with the name "H.Hibberd" were found.
The first was: "112 Driver H.T.Hibberd" and his QSA clasp entitlement was Cape Colony and Orange Free State.
The second was far more likely: "92779 Sgt.Farrier H.Hibberd and his QSA clasp entitlement was Relief of Kimberley, Paardeburg, Driefontein and Transvaal. Neither man had any marginal note on the medal roll.
It is interesting to note that "72770 Cpl. Shg.Smith H.Hibberd" of U Bty is shown in the Palmer list as Prisoner of War at Sannah's Post on 31/3/1900 and was later released. There is a mismatch with the regimental number in the casualty report (sometimes happens) - but the medal roll confirms "9279".
If you go to the "Units" section of this site, and do a bit of scrolling, you will find a digest of the services of "U"Bty, RHA.
A nice set of numbers in your site ID, by the way!
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds